We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

I am thinking about spending 2 nites in June in Death Valley and can find accomodations at either of the two above, Furnace Creek Inn is booked, but the ranch is available. anyone stayed at either or both and which is most recommended? Not looking for fancy, just basic clean place to stay. thanks! CP

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

Both are fine and Stovepipe Wells is always highly recommended by Frisco_Roadrunner, our generous contributor on this board. Also Tet14, another poster with unlimited knowledge of the area, recommends the same simple lodging. We always stay at the inn but for March/April 2009 I am thinking about making reservations at Stovepipe Wells and Beatty, NV. From what I understand rooms are simple motel style but they have small refrigerators. There is a nice swimming pool. From what I observed, as an outsider, Furnace Creek Ranch is much busier than Stovepipe Wells. If you like a quieter place then stay at Stovepipe Wells. If you want to be closer to Visitor Center, museum, have a couple of dining options, be closer to Badwater and Zabriskie Point then stay at the ranch. If you want to be next to sand dunes and be a little closer to Scotty's Castle stay at Stovepipe Wells. Regardless where you stay enjoy your visit to our amazing Death Valley.

FYI, the inn is not booked for any days in June. It is closed from mid-May to mid-October.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

Places is spot on with her advice. We stayed at both and nothing wrong with the Ranch but we prefer the serenity of Stovepipe Wells village. If you stay there ask for an east facing room at the Forti-niner or Roadrunner building. Those rooms are a little more than basic.

Tet

USA
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

I have stayed at Furnace creek ranch and have had dinner at stovepipe wells. (Staying at Stovepipe is on my to do list.) Death valley is huge, about the size of Delaware. Furnace creek ranch, for me, was in a better location. It was more centrally located to the sites I wanted to see. Its not too far from badlands, which is a must see of course. The visitor center is also close by. Furnace creek ranch also has a spring fed HUGE swimming pool. It is also right next to the golf course. The restaurant is OK at Furnace Creek, I felt the restaurant at Stovepipe is better. Furnace creek is a basic clean place to stay.

Have a super time!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

<The restaurant is OK at Furnace Creek, I felt the restaurant at Stovepipe is better. Furnace creek is a basic clean place to stay.>

Did you mean Furnace Creek Ranch?

Furnace Creek Inn offers a little more than a basic clean place to stay but it is closed in June.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

Although there are some Badlands in the area, you probably are referring to Badwater instead Badlands.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

People should not depend on the websites for resort vacancies. Both Furnace Creek and Stove Pipe Wells may have vacancies that don't show up on the website. If you call (phone), you may luck out.

Beatty is the nearest town and a nice place. It's a good fall-back if you can't get into a park resort, but no town will give you the desert experience of staying in the park. You will not have the same tranquility, evening nature walks, stargazing, or waking up in the middle of this natural wonder land. In DV, if I wake up at odd hours of the night, I will often stargaze, which is less enjoyable from the parking lot of a motel in Beatty or any other town.

Yes, as Tet said, there are some Badlands, but the name usually isn't applied to DV. The term is sometimes used in lower-case for places with heavy erosion, broken-up rocks, or limited vegetation, like the area immediately around Zabriskie Point.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

thank you all for your input!

8. Re: Stovepipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 21, 2009