We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving LA to Las Vegas - how many days in Death Valley?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving LA to Las Vegas - how many days in Death Valley?

We are two middle aged women who are planning a trip in November. It is unlikely that we will ever be this way again. We want to make reservations and need advice on how long to spend in Death Valley and whether there are any don't miss recommendations for what to do there and suggestions for the choice of route. We hike a little, but rarely go beyond short easy trails.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving LA to Las Vegas - how many days in Death Valley?

There is no such thing as too much Death Valley. But realistically, since you can't stay for a month, I'd suggest at least two days to really see and appreciate it.

I suggest browsing on the threads in this forum and the Death Valley National Park forum. Some of them have detailed itineraries and suggestions as well as routes in and out.

I have limited time right now for a detailed reply, but I will say that my preference, based on your plan to go from L.A. to L.V., is to enter through Mojave and Ridgecrest, so you can see some of the western side of the park. If you choose the Trona-Wildrose route, you will see unexpected greenery (lots of it) that might surprise you.

You can stay at either Stove Pipe Wells Village or Furnace Creek Ranch or Inn. SPW is a good place from which to explore the Sand Dunes, Scotty's Castle, which is in the north end of the park, and Rhyolite ghost town. FC is about 25 miles farther south and is in the central part of DV, nearer to many of the favorite visitor attractions.

I will try to come back here in a day or two and add more, unless someone else does so earlier.

In November, reservations for park lodging are a must. The first week is Death Valley '49ers Encampment, several days of commemorations of the first Anglo-Americans to enter the valley and give it the name by which the world knows it. The Veterans' Day and Thanksgiving holiday periods are busy. From then until Easter, with a small lull between New Year's and early February, the world beats a path to Death Valley. If the wildflower season is unusually colorful and prolific, it will be even busier.

Mentioned in this post
united kingdom
Level Contributor
458 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving LA to Las Vegas - how many days in Death Valley?

I would say you really need 2 days at least to see some of DV, you can stop off at some of the veiw point's an the way to your accomodation (we really like stovepipe wells overlooking the sand dunes) the next day get up for sunrise take a trip out to Badwater and the surrounding area ands also scottys castle and the crater, this would take you most of the day. In reality would think it would take a week to see all it has to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Badwater
Badwater
2,368 Reviews
Death Valley National Park, CA
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving LA to Las Vegas - how many days in Death Valley?

I advocate what others are saying about not trying to do it in a day. I did, and look back and think "what in the blazes was I thinking??!?" I drove from West Hollywood on the morning of Oct. 7th, then made the turn north at Baker in to DV... (making many interim photo stops) stopped at Badwater, Furnace Creek Visitor Center, saw sunset at Zabriskie point, then drove on to Vegas. I was exhausted by the time I got to my hotel in Vegas. You really can't comprehend distances until you are actually out there. It was a much bigger place than I thought! Like I said, beautiful .. but BIG! Make sure your car is reliable, and make sure you have plenty of water with you!

(photos of my LA --> DV --> Vegas jaunt www.flickr.com/photos/ntknicole )

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14862-Los_Ange…

Mentioned in this post
Badwater
Badwater
2,368 Reviews
Furnace Creek Visitor Center
Furnace Creek Visitor...
683 Reviews
Zabriskie Point
Zabriskie Point
2,282 Reviews
4. Re: Driving LA to Las Vegas - how many days in Death Valley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 11, 2009