We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

Brisbane
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

Hi All,

We will be leaving Groveland on 22 August 2008 and will be taking Tioga Pass. Now we are thinking that we should overnight at Bishop and then the following day thru Death Valley with and overnight at Stovepipe Wells. Obviously taking time to see as much as possible.

After leaving SPW we are not sure of which would be the best route or places to stay. We want to take in a bit of Route 66 on our way to &/or from Grand Canyon.

Also where would be the best places to stay enroute and also in Grand Canyon.

Thanks

RplusR

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

Hi RPlusr.

For GCNP south rim. Make your reservations asa possible. www.grandcanyonlodges.com. You will want to stay at the rim and they are sold out quickly. El Tovar is the classic hotel but there are more places like Kachina,Thunderbird etc. See the website and take your pick but asa possible.

You've made a very good decision for taking your time for this trip. Keep in mind it will be extremely hot in places like Death Valley and Las Vegas in august. DV is the hottest place on earth and always carry water. Roads are sealed for most attractions so no worries about that.

From Yosemite on Tioga Pass. Take your time, very beautiful. You'll reach Lee Vining. Have lunck at Whoa Nelli Deli and visit Mono Lake.

North of Lee Vining is the excellent ghosttown of Bodie but it takes at least 2.5-3 hours for a visit from Lee Vining and back.

You are now driving us395 at the eastern side of the Sierras and what a drive it is! South of Lee Vining is June Lake Loop (ca158) and Mammoth Lakes, a wonderful area. Maybe visit Devils Postpile NM. Then drive to Bishop. The Best Western Creekside Inn is nice and worth a stay. Adjacent to the hotel is Erik Schats Bakery for fine food. You can stay In Bishop or continue to Lone Pine. Well priced lodging at the foot of Mount Whitney, the highest mountain in the USA (without Alaska). Before Lone Pine is Manzanar NHS if you are interested in WW2 history. In Lone Pine visit the Alabama Hills, film location from the past and drive Whitney Portal road for some miles and see the fantastic overlooks on dry Lake Owens.

Info at the helpful visitocenter at the junction of 395 and 136.

Now drive towards Death Valley. Pull over a couple of miles from the junction and make pictures of the mountains, Alabama Hills and Lone Pine. Classic shot!

You now enter DVNP (www.nps.gov/deva) one of the oddest places in the world. Stovepipe Wells is a great overnight stay but it will be hot again. Fantastic skies at night and fortunately the hotel has a pool. Make reservation through www.xanterra.com. See the Dunes (wear sturdy shoes!!!) and Mosaic Canyon. From Stovepipe Wells drive 190 to the visitor center and learn all about DV. Visit Zabriskie Point, maybe also Dante's view and drive 178 to Devils Golf Course, Artist Drive and Badwater. Lowest point in the USA. If you would stay 2 days you also can see other great place like Scotty's Castle, Ubehebe Crater and many more. See the contributions of Frisco Roadrunner, the real expert for this region.

Now continue to Las Vegas. Maybe visit Red Rock Canyon on ca 159 first. Probably you want to stay in Las Vegas for a short (?) time.

If you have never been to Las Vegas, don't miss.

From Las Vegas to GCNP is a 5 hours drive if no delays at Hoover Dam. You can drive old parts of R66 between Kingman and Seligman. Best part of R66 is driving to Oatman and Sitgreaves pass west of Kingman but it will be a long day from LV if you decide to do this part as well. The detour Kingman-Seligman instead I40 will add at least 1 hour to your trip. Stop in Williams and have a drink on the R66 stretch and continue on 64 to Grand Canyon NP one hour from Williams.Many more options.

Hope this helps some.

Tet.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

Thank you Tet14 for all your information. We had been thinking of staying in Bishop and will contact your suggestion for our hotel. I have already sent off a booking for SPW for 24/8 as I realise we need to get our booking in place as it is a a busy time of year.

Yes we are going to Las Vegas but that will be after Grand Canyon (will check out your suggetions there) as we will be catching a flight from Las Vegas to Buffalo around 31/8 or 1/9 as we are going to Niagara Falls. From Niagara we head to NY city.

So if we want to drive a bit of Route 66 where should we pick that up from after we leave SPW on 24/8. We do have a few days to kill as we were planning on 3 days maybe 4 in Las Vegas. I was in Las Vegas over 20 years ago around the same time and I realise just how hot it is going to be

We really appreciate your help.

Cheers

RplusR

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

Hi

Shortest drive from SPW to GCNP is through Las Vegas, us93 and I40. Total of 8 hours driving but DV is the main reason to visit of course. So take your time. If you don't want to stay in Las Vegas on your way to GCNP you'll have to make a rather long detour. My advice then is to spend as much time as you can in DV and drive to Baker via ca127. See the big thermometer and stay for the night. Now it's a bit complicated from Baker. South of Baker is Mojave National Preserve a deserted but fascinating desert. You could drive Kelbaker road to Kelso, see the traindepot and drive to Amboy. You can pick up R66 here, or drive to I40 and east to Needles. Off I40 on az95 and R66 to Oatman, Sitgreaves Pass, Kingmand and R66 from Kingman to Seligman and GCNP. This will be a very long daytrip but you'll bypass Las Vegas. Yoú'll need a good map. Or drive from Baker on I15 to exit 286. Ca 164 to us95 south to 163, pass Davis Dam to Laughlin and Bullhead City and the drive on R66 again starting from Oatman. This will be less timeconsuming than the drive through Mojave Nat. Pres but still a long way. Whatever you do, at least stay one full day at GCNP (2 nights).

Tet

Brisbane
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

Thanks again Tet for you help. In looking at the map we had been thinking of driving through Needles and then from there through Seligman to GCNP.

So we will have a look at your other suggestion and see which way we would prefer.

As you say it is a long trip so If we do go via the Seligman route where would be the best place for an overnight stop just to break the journey up.

We are planning on at least 2 nights at GCNP possibly 3 and also thinking of staying at El Tovar.

Thanks

RplusR

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

Yes, that's a good idea to stay another night! My vote would be for Laughlin. Also called the Las Vegas of the seventies! Find yourself a hotel at the Colorado River like Golden Nugget or The Avi (or others). Much cheaper than Las Vegas esp. midweek. We'll be staying there again this year as well. You can get real bargains here.

Tet

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

Yes, that's a good idea to stay another night! My vote would be for Laughlin. Also called the Las Vegas of the seventies! Find yourself a hotel at the Colorado River like Golden Nugget or The Avi (or others). Much cheaper than Las Vegas esp. midweek. We'll be staying there again this year as well. You can get real bargains here.

Tet

Brisbane
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

Thanks very much for all your help Tet it is much appreciated and has been a great help to us.

Thanks

RplusR

8. Re: Help Yosemite thru Death Valley to Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 09, 2009