We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Reminder: Take Care of Yourself!

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,035 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Another Reminder: Take Care of Yourself!

No one should be scared away from going, but I want to remind you again about the need to take care of yourself in the desert. Early to mid July is the peak of the summer heat in Death Valley.

At 10:30 p.m. PDT, the temperature is 110° (45°C). The relative humidity is 5% (five percent).

For the next few days, this is the forecast:

Friday July 6

High: 126°

Low: 92°

Precip Chance: 10%

Saturday July 7

High: 124°

Low: 91°

Precip Chance: 0%

Sunday July 8

High: 124°

Low: 89°

Monday July 9

High: 123°

Low: 88°

Tuesday July 10

High: 123°

Low: 91°

The NWS has a standard excessive heat warning in effect:

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE MOJAVE DESERT UNTIL 9 PM PDT /9 PM MST/ FRIDAY FOR ELEVATIONS BELOW 4000 FEET.

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO REACH DANGEROUS LEVELS THAT WILL STRESS THE BODY IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

RESIDENTS AND ESPECIALLY TOURISTS WHO ARE NOT ACCLIMATED TO THE DESERT HEAT ARE URGED TO PLAN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES DURING THE EARLY MORNING AND LATE EVENING HOURS. STAY OUT OF THE SUNSHINE AND IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM IF POSSIBLE DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS.

IF YOU MUST BE OUTDOORS...DRINK PLENTY OF WATER EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT THIRSTY. DEHYDRATION AND AND HEAT STROKE CAN OCCUR QUICKLY IN THESE EXTREME TEMPERATURES.

CHECK ON ELDERLY RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS. AND NEVER LEAVE CHILDREN OR PETS IN THE CAR UNATTENDED.

Translation: It will be hot. This warning is for the next few days, but DV will be like this for the next 2-3 months. With such low humidity, you will dehydrate and must drink lots of water. Because you lose essential chemicals through your pores, you need to eat food to keep your body chemistry in balance. If you are not producing much urine, or it is not as clear as usual, you're not taking in enough water.

You may want to try a cooling collar filled with water-absorbing crystals. They cool the carotid arteries and jugular veins, which circulate blood to the brain and back to the heart. This makes the entire body more comfortable.

Yes, I go there in summer and yes, I hike or do other outdoor activities, but I've done it for years and have learned to pace myself. The first time you encounter 127° weather can be a shock to your system, but many people want this unique experience and would not pass it up. With proper preparation, most people can enjoy Death Valley.

Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Reminder: Take Care of Yourself!

Hello, I'm from Italy and on the 25th of August I'll be in the DV coming from Las Vegas.

I would like to leave from Vegas in the afternoon to avoid the warmest hours, though travelling with the light of the day.

For the same reason, I would also leave the DV early in the morning.

Would you suggest me the best hours to leave?

Thank You

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Reminder: Take Care of Yourself!

Hi Spacetrip, welcome to the forum.

I would leave Las Vegas as early as possible and drive to the west with the sun in the back and visits to Dante's View and Zabriskie Point are better in the morning imo. Also you will have more time to explore the great DVNP ( for more info try www.nps.gov/deva.) Stay the night in DV if you can and leave next morning. BTW it won't be that much cooler in LV. If you don't want to stay in DV try to make it a one day drive through DV to Lone Pine which is on a higher elevation (but still hot!)

Tet

Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Reminder: Take Care of Yourself!

Thank you, Tet.

I'll stay one night at the Furnace creek Ranch.

Anyhow I don't plan to visit any surroundings since I'll be with 2 children (8 and 12 age old) and I don't want to do anything risky for them.

I understand that the suggestion is to leave Las Vegas early in the morning to avoid driving with the sun in front. Which is the latest hour should I start to avoid the hottest hours? And when should I leave Vegas, if I should leave in the afternoon?

I'm sorry if I'm asking any silly question. Thank you so much!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Reminder: Take Care of Yourself!

Kids that age often are tougher than their parents in the heat. A hat, sunscreen and drinking lots of water will do. And the pool!

Maybe start at 8pm, visit Dante's View and Zabriskie Point (drive from Las Vegas to Pahrump and to Death Valley Junction and to Furnace Creek. Dante's View is on your left after entering DVNP and Zabriskie Point is on your left too just before Furnace Creek. Now try to get your accomodation at Furnace Creek Ranch. Maybe the rooms has not been made up yet. But friendly ask them to hurry and go to the visitor center to pay your fee. In the afternoon visit Devils Golf course, Badwater and Artist drive back to the Ranch and relax by the pool.

I don't think there's a best time for leaving in the afternoon from Las Vegas, but avoid driving in the dark. Don't forget you'll be driving a car with an airco and you'll be fine in it. Always bring enough water.

Tet

5. Re: Another Reminder: Take Care of Yourself!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 05, 2009