We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small quaint towns near Dayton

Colorado Springs...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Small quaint towns near Dayton

Planning a vacation to see the Air museums next year. I'm looking for small, quaint towns near Dayton to visit and stay in during my visit. Any ideas? Thanks!

Level Contributor
929 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

Depending on what you'd like to see, here's a few places to research.

Yellow Springs, home of John Bryan State Park and Young's Jersey Dairy (Brandeberry Winery is not too far from Young's). It's also a liberal arts college town with a lot of interesting shops & restaurants downtown.

Tipp City, a little north of Dayton, more interesting shops, a friend of mine has an art gallery downtown (there are several), and some good eating spots, too.

Springfield is home to the Westcott House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, they have tours through it (daily I think). Also a small history museum downtown.

Keep researching, I'm sure you'll find something you'll enjoy.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

I vote for Yellow Springs!!!!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
305 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

Yellow Springs was the first place that came to my mind as well.

I will try to come up with some others. Is there anything that you would be interested in doing (shopping, hiking, etc...) that could help provide additional places?

Beavercreek, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

Definitely Yellow Springs! They were recently a finalist for "Most Fun Small Town in the US" in a USA Today/Rand McNally contest. Check out the video, filmed during the BOTR visit in June. http://youtu.be/8NqCdpORaxQ

There are always events happening, check out their site, http://www.yellowspringsohio.org/

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

Tipp City is a cute town just North of Dayton - nice shops and restaurants. Also North is Troy, Ohio and the restored historic Johnston Farm in Piqua.

Colorado Springs...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

Thank you!

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
579 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

Another vote for Yellow Springs. I lived there for 6 months and it is a fun place. Lots of GREAT food, too. Love the ecclectic collection of stores. Don't miss Clifton Mill while you're there. Just a few miles away:

If you go to Springfield, have good directions and follow them. There's some surprisingly scary parts of that town.

Lebanon has a historic inn (Ohio's oldest hotel) and excellent restaurant.

The Golden Lamb:

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

Yellow spring by far is our best little hippie town...great food at the tavern odd pizza toppings at ha ha pizza but really good(egg plant rocks). Just down rt 68 are the ohio caves its a fun adventure walk.

If you wanna crafty town go to waynesville alot of nice country primitive crafts. Not far from thee you can go canoeing or visit ceasar creek beach. In that area is a pilgrim village.

Germantown has a great pizza place and nice state park and historic damn.

Around the kings island area is a great old castle you can visit.

we also have the famous mansfeild prison a couple hours north east were shawshank was filmed.

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

BTW.....if your coming in the fall you can't miss going to to Foy's halloween stores and five and dime stores. Most of down town Fairborn (which is right out side of the airforce museum ) is toys. If your in town during lunch Mr.Foy has a great little grill also. Or if you like greek food go about a block down the road to tickets BEST GYRO,s ever!!!!!

Xenia, Ohio, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Small quaint towns near Dayton

The best place to visit is yellowsprings. It's an artsy little town with great food and a trully unique atmosphere! You should definetly check it out.

Edited: 12:46 pm, January 15, 2012
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now