We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint Marys is asleep

northwest of...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Saint Marys is asleep

My wife and I just spent a week in Saint Marys, which was about 5 days too many. The house was great with the tag line of,"You can walk to town." That's great if there was something to walk to. Some of the four bar-restaurants are closed the beginning of the week. If you don't take the boat to Cumberland Island or walk in the park forget it.The other things like the Sub museum don't take much time.If you want to read and sleep then St. Marys is for you.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint Marys is asleep

Pretty much true. I've been going down to St Marys for twenty years or more and love it. But it's not a place to just spend a week in, it's a small town. One of the great things about is that it's centrally located for lot's of great places. I always go to the Okefenokee and over to Fernandina on Amelia Island. Every few years I'll take the ferry over to Cumberland. It's a nice place to hang around in between, especially if you've gotten to know some people there. But, like anywhere else, if you're expecting more of it than what it has to give you'll likely be disappointed.

northwest of...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint Marys is asleep

We're in our late 50s and like some things like happy hours and stores that you can walk to which I found in St. Simons and Amelia Islands. I could not find anything on Trip Advisor that prepared us for such a quiet place. We don't need a party place but we need more than a town that rolls up the sidewalks early and where you can't buy any groceries without driving ten minutes. I just thought other travelers should know.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,742 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint Marys is asleep

This is very true of St. Mary's. We like the area around Amelia Island and Seagrove/Seaside Beach Florida. They seem to have something going on even in the winter months. My cousin lives in Bradenton and that is a nice area and warmer than in northern Florida in the winter. Also know someone who goes to Sanibel in the winter months.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint Marys is asleep

The only times we have been to St Mary's have been as a starting point to go over to Cumberland Island......the town served quite well as an overnight stopover, but spending a week there may be challenging for someone who is looking for entertainment....Hope you got a chance to spend the day over at Cumberland.......did you go to Crooked River State Park ?......There was a saturday market on the main street when we were there last month.......Kayaking and fishing come to mind for anyone who is more active.....

5. Re: Saint Marys is asleep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about St. Marys