We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Yorktown

Which Yorktown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Living in Yorktown

What is living like in Yorktown? How does it compare to Williamsburg? What kind of stores and restaurants do you have in Yorktown?Jobs?

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Yorktown

I'll write tomorrow - I live in Yorktown - wrote the long post on your question about W'burg and Chesapeake.. It is probably better to ask about "York County" - locals think of Yorktown as just the smaller area where the historical waterfront is - which isn't very populous - but York County is a much larger area - running from Tabb (where I live) to Yorktown's historical waterfront - a narrow strip of land running south to north about 15 miles down (up?) Rt 17. All of us have "Yorktown" as our mailing address though.. but two zip codes... giving you an idea of how widespread it is.

Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Yorktown

pcm501:

Thanks for all of the info. It is very helpful! We are really looking for a small town feeling with things to do. I like the suburbs and my husband likes the country, so I'm tring to find something in between. It is very important to have stores close by, (ex Wal-mart, Ross, Dollar tree, TJ Maxx) We also don't want a town that shuts down at 9 PM. We visited Williamsburg and like that it is not too big. The only thing is we don't want to be right in the middle of tourists. We are not really into the history part. I noticed there are outliying areas of Williamsburg. But on the other hand, I've heard about nothing for kids to do. My son is really into Pop Warner Football. We do like to visit the beach, but don't want to have to sit in hours of traffic to get there. Another thing we like are state parks, fishing, swimming, flea markets, bowling, mini-golf, arcades, etc. By the way any good flea markets close by that sell new discount items? When we buy a house, we would like at least 1/2-1 acre of property. Also, I heard the taxes are less in Williamsburg. I heard the taxes are double in Chesapeake. The houses seem to be less expensive in WB. We also may buy a piece of property first. We can't move until our daughter graduates in 2 years. As far as work goes, we like to stay in the immediate area. I work with veterinarians and my hubby does landscaping (sod, mulch, stone) He would like to start his own business as he has been doing for 9 years. Any suggestions are very helpful and I sure do appreciate it.

3. Re: Living in Yorktown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Yorktown