We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ventura/Oxnard safe?

Which Ventura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ventura/Oxnard safe?

Safe in Ventura/Oxnard?

Hi! I'll be traveling to the LA/Santa Barbara area the weekend of June 15-17 with a 13 yr old girl (I'm a 33 yr old woman). I want to stay in the cheapest place possible, but I want to be safe. There are tons of cheap hotels in Ventura ($40-$75/night), but I have no way of knowing if they are sketchy or not.

Please help.

Thank you!

k

California
Level Contributor
46 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ventura/Oxnard safe?

All the places on Thompson other than vagabond are sketchy. Mostly drugs, prostitution, etc..

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ventura/Oxnard safe?

Many parts of Ventura and many in Oxnard are safe yet there are some undesirable spots.

Do you have a list of prospective places and I can tell you which may be best.

Dr. Z

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ventura/Oxnard safe?

Wait a sec.....I just re/read your post.

Are you planning on staying in Ventura while visiting SB? Or is this just a stopover on the way?

Ojai, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ventura/Oxnard safe?

As stated above, there are inexpensive and safe lodgings to be had in either town, but some areas to be avoided as well. Is there a reason other than cost that you are asking about Ventura and Oxnard? You might be better off (more uniformly safe areas) if you were to look at Camarillo to the south, or Carpinteria to the north. Carpinteria is especially nice (quaint, small, old-school SoCal beach town) and has a few pretty inexpensive places (Motel 6, The Reef). The Motel 6 on Carpinteria Avenue is not plush, but is walking distance to a lot of what "Carp" has to offer. Carpinteria is also a short drive (10 minutes) to Santa Barbara, whereas Ventura is more like 30 minutes and Oxnard 40 minutes. Definitely stay away from Thompson Avenue in Ventura or pretty much anything on Oxnard Blvd in Oxnard. As above, if you have a list of prospects, perhaps we can be of more help.

Edited: 9:17 pm, June 06, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ventura/Oxnard safe?

Wow, I don't recall reading about safety issues when I was checking the hotel reviews and planning our trip. We stayed at Country Inn & Suites on May 19th (Sat night) and walked to Ventura Pier for sunset - no problems! There were others doing the same thing. But, now that I think about it, there was a cop sitting at the end of Chestnut St.

California
Level Contributor
46 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ventura/Oxnard safe?

Ventura is beautiful, fun and very safe. I have lived there over 20 years and never had a problem. But the general environment of the above mentioned hotels are not real nice. Country Inns is another good place to stay.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
46 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ventura/Oxnard safe?

The Country Inn or The Crown Plaza are nice places in Ventura to stay. I've had out of town guests stay in both places and they've never had any problems.

8. Re: Ventura/Oxnard safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, February 07, 2015