We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

Which Ventura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

I'm going to vist friends for a few weeks(sept/oct next year) and am about to book I'm unsure about what hotel I should stay in?

I wont be driving so having some nice places to eat near by would be good and or to be able to cook in room.

California
Level Contributor
46 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

What is your price range? Ventura has a wide range of places to stay. Not knowing that, I'd stay downtown so you can walk to all the restaurants, beach, etc.. Ventura is very safe and a nice place to hang out in.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

There are some nice places along Seaward (you can find them all on google). My friends like the Comfort Inn - the restaurants nearby include well-reviewed Italian and Mexican places, with a smattering of other local coffee houses/seafood places. What's cool about the Seaward area is that you can walk (about a mile) to downtown.

Some people really like the Marriott, others like the Crowne Plaza. Not sure either is worth the money above Comfort Inn (which is near the Marriott). Very mixed reviews here on the Bella Maggiore, but it certainly has a nice location and some ambiance. Ventura is not NYC, there are no high end concept places to stay (which is why my friends stay at the Comfort Inn). You can get someplace even cheaper - but staying out at the Harbor is rather inconvenient. Downtown would be nicer (which is why the Crowne Plaza, despite its age, has remained in business - has a beachside pool, you can watch surfing from your balcony (ask for a north facing room) and there's a pretty good steakhouse next door and a great seafood restaurant on the pier (not to mention downtown is 5 minutes away - past the railroad and over the freeway, which bothers some people).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

I was in Ventura a 3 years ago and stayed in Country Inn & Suites By Carlson it was a handy spot but ive noticed it and the area have been getting some mixed reviews of late.

Price range is open but prefer to save if i can as long as is cleen and comfortable and If I could get a kitchen it would be great!

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

***ive noticed it and the area have been getting some mixed reviews of late.***

The impact of the recession has definitely taken its toll in Ventura. We drove through a couple of months ago and I thought holy cow what happened!

A couple of thoughts:

Hotel rates this far in advance are going to be higher. Take another look around Feb.March. maybe even later.

One thing I would look into now is vacation rentals. If you're visiting for 2-3 weeks you'll probably be able to negotiate a rate. There are real estate offices and VRBO that have cottages to rent. No, it won't be a beachfront property but you'll probably end up paying less than if you stayed in a hotel. Plus, you'll save money in the long run by not eating out all the time. Anyway that's something to consider. Sometimes folks rent out their boats at the harbor for dirt cheap to stay at but you'll have the transportation problem.

5. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:45 pm, October 13, 2011
Edited: 3:45 pm, October 13, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

Thing is i'm comming from Australia so for buget and the other things im planing I need to pretty much book now or get an idea of cost to make any changes to my plans.

I will go and looks and look and hoilday rentals my only consern i have from last time is looking at them was waiting for the refund of the security.deopist trying to chase that up when im back home would not be fun.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

For two or three weeks I, personally, would look for a vacation rental because of the kitchen facilities and the fact that even a studio apartment can give you more room than a hotel room. You will also save money. We have never paid hotel room prices/night in our rentals.

We have done this on our travels all over the world and never had issues. However, I don't use private listings...no Cragislist or not even VRBO. I go through a rental agency so that if something goes wrong we have a professional person to deal with. There will be a required deposit and a cleaning fee. Another reason you want a professional agency is to be sure you get your cleaning fee back. There are sharks out there.

To find one I usually start out by googling "vacation rentals in___" and then from the list choose a couple of agencies to check with.

Sometimes, locals on the forum of where we are going will have good advice on reputable agencies.

You might even find a beachfront condo, if Ventura has those.

Good luck. (I can't imagine staying in a hotel for three weeks.)

Edited: 8:29 pm, October 13, 2011
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

I forgot to mention that your google may return some apartment hotels. When we were in Sydney that happened to me and we had a very nice studio room with kitchenette near Darling Harbor.

California
Level Contributor
46 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

I agree with socalbum's posting about looking right now. Lately, a park in the center of town has had a lot of homeless gathering there. The city has begun moving them out of the area. Downtown is as safe and fun as ever. Have you checked out Vagabond? The one in Ventura is always full of people and the location is great.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Ventura for a few weeks

I've been trying to find manged hoilday rentals but all I kind find is by owner ones.