We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Cedar City - I'm coming back for a visit

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
663 posts
Save Topic
Questions about Cedar City - I'm coming back for a visit

Hello there. I used to live in Cedar City 10 years ago. I moved there from California in 94' and then moved back to California in 96' due to a divorce. I loved Cedar City and attended the University while I was there. I have not had the guts to come back until now (lots of bad memories from the divorce) but finally after all these years I am making the trip back in September.

My question is - has the town built up at all since 96?

Is Boomers restaurant still on Main Street?

Does anyone remember the dance club "The Mine Shaft"?

Any thoughts or answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

utah
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Cedar City - I'm coming back for a visit

Hello, the town has built some, not huge amounts of housing tract type of growth. We now have a Home Depot and Walmart. 3 grocery stores. A new library was built last year. A new theater on Main street. Boomers is still there, run by a young couple. Main Street is nice, old fashioned lamposts with baskets of blooms, lots of window shopping. It still has the small town college feel. I never get tired of looking at the mountains and red rocks! The school district is super, crime is almost nonexistent.

Can you tell I love it? I moved here from So Cal over 10 years ago and would not live anywhere else.

www.go-utah.com or southernutah.com or thespectrum.com for more. Good luck.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
663 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Cedar City - I'm coming back for a visit

Thanks for your answers, Toby! I remember we had a Walmart there 9 years ago - but we didnt' have a Home Depot. I also loved the city when I lived there! Do you or anyone else remember the dance club "The Mine Shaft"?

Jefferson, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Cedar City - I'm coming back for a visit

I remember the Mine Shaft but it is now long gone. We did have another club/music venue called the Blue Kat but it has closed shop too unfortuanely.

Cedar's population has increased since 1996. Almost all of Leigh hill is now homes and large ones at that. Enoch's housing has also exploded, new home everywhere now. I'm not sure what the population is now but we do have two high schools, two middle schools and they are currently building two more elementry schools.

Super Wal-Mart, Home Depot some strip malls/retail shops are now all located at the south interchange where a rodeo arena once stood. Boomer's is still in operation although it is currently up for sale. The home town drive in's are also still here, Brad's, Hermies and Top Spot. Enjoy your trip back to Cedar City.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
663 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Cedar City - I'm coming back for a visit

Thanks very much for all of the information.

I had forgotten all about Brad's Food Hut! I'll have to visit there when I come up.