We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

I'm going to NYC in April with my 24 year old daugher who has never been to New York. Two years ago I enjoyed staying a couple blocks from Central Park. I found we could walk to Times Square, Tiffany's, the museums, Lincon Center, etc. But my daughter is hearing from her friends that she would enjoy staying in the Greenwich Village/Soho area the most. I find very little to choose from in that area and wonder if something more central would be better (such as near Time Square). Many of the reasonably priced hotels are near Murray Hill and Grand Central, but I wonder if there is anything of interest for my daughter there. What do you all recommend? What about the Holiday Inn in Soho area? We really would like a hotel with a little lux feel, but don't want to pay the big bucks for it!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

the holiday inn in soho is actually in chinatown - doubt anyone would like it.

soho is more (window) shopping, as each brand has its own small store. personally, i attend nyu and find the area boring too.

i prefer midtown, because there are the broadway theaters, nicer restaurants, etc.

they're both ridiculously crowded and overpriced for shopping.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,075 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

I would echo the previous poster. Ex-NYer, here. There is much more to see and do in a compact area and the trains and buses are more plentiful and easier to manage.

Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

If you are going for a while would you consider splitting your time between the two areas?

From what i understand, and from what my friends in New York say... they are two different worlds. I think it would be funky and hip to stay in Soho, tribeca, Meatpacking areas. I had two friends that stayed at the Maritime hotel on their first trip and loved being further downtown. You can get the subway directly from soho to times square (one of the many place) so nothing is ever too far away. However, my mother has recently refused to stay in that area with 'first timers' as she feels it it too far away - i disagree. My fav part of New York is Soho etc.... and i am in my 20s. Midtown is def. more touristy.

If you decide on midtown why dont you look at the Blakely hotel (good location, big rooms and very good rates - look at the reviews on this site). Pitty they have a poor web site. My family has just booked there. If you are looking for something fun and funky and don't mind smaller rooms why dont you look at a room at the Hudson with two double beds (my friends in their 20s have just booked there)? You could also try the Night Hotel which has relatively good rates and is new and fun.

If you decide on Soho, tribeca etc try these. You can get some good rates at the following if you look hard.

Soho Grand or Tribeca Grand (both funky with free push bikes, goldfish in your room, and can get free b'fast and a 10% discount if you sign up to their loyalty program for free). I would be happy to stay at wither. The Maritime Hotel also looks great and not as expensive as some other hotels like the Mercer and 60 Thompson.

I hope both of you have a great time. You just need to find what will work for the both of you. And in New York there is something for everyone.

UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

I would definitely recommend Soho. We stay in nearby Tribeca and love it. We have stayed at the Tribeca Grand & thoroughly enjoyed it. The Soho Grand is also very hip - the bar is fab for people watching.

Soho/Tribeca have a lovely village feel to them. Its away from the main tourist routes (a good thing), but an easy (and pleasant) walk to Chinatown, Little Italy, Wall Street, Battery Park. Recently we stayed at a hotel on Chambers Street and there is a subway stop right outside - a 5 minute trip up to Times Square and the rest of midtown. At weekends there are boho stalls selling clothes etc etc and the place has a good buzz about it. Sunday brunch is also a great way to spend the morning.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

The hotel Turnipster is referring to is The Cosmopolitan. It's very low key, but decent (kinda like a Motel 6?)

I would advise against the Holiday Inn Express on Houston Street (around Lafayette Street?). It's safe and all, no problems there, but too "inbetween" nabes and subway stations, and you face onto Houston Street - too noisy.

Once you get here, your daughter will understand how you can get anywhere by subway or taxi.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

NO to the HI in "Soho"

Starting backwards, it really depends on your budget. There is only 1 "proper" hotel in the village-the Washington Square. It's not glamorous (but the location is) and it's not that cheap, but affordable.

In the meatpacking district, the Gansevoort and Soho House are "cool" hotels, very pricey. (this area borders Chelsea and the village)

In Soho, the only good hotel options are the Soho Grand, the Mercer and 60 Thompson and they're all pretty pricey. In Tribeca (south of Soho) there's the Tribeca Grand or the budget hotel the Cosmopolitan.

Soooo, a lot depends on your budget-regardless of which is better. The W Union Square is a very good "compromise" option as it's not that far from midtown, but at a central spot for downtown. There's a Hampton Inn in Chelsea and also a Four Points by Sheraton in Chelsea. The latter is nicer, but location is good for both and Chelsea's a good area.

What you might want to consider is a "cool" hotel in midtown. The Hudson is one good option although rooms are small. (if you book a room with 2 beds in any hotel, it will be a bit bigger) Also look at the W Court or W Tuscany. They are some of the few hip hotels with decent sized rooms.

The Murray Hill/Grand Central area (where the above W's are located), while not a bustle of activity, is a good central location for getting around. Remember, just because you're staying there, doesn't mean that's where you spend all your time. I think it does help to be in a trendy hotel though.

On the Avenue might be a good idea too. It's north of midtown on the upper west side. It's trendy looking and usually affordable.

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I am finding that some hotels are harder than others to get a room with two beds. That will have to figure into my decision as well. At least I know that I will not stay at the Holiday Inn/Soho. I guess it's rather a process of elimination!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

Yes, many of the cool/trendy hotels have very small rooms and don't even have rooms with 2 beds. I still don't have a sense of your budget, but the Cosmopolitan is a good budget hotel in Tribeca (all the way downtown) that I know has some rooms with 2 beds.

9. Re: Soho/Lower Manhattan or midtown hotel stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:26 am, August 25, 2009