We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

Baton Rouge...
3 posts
2 reviews
Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

Most simple way to get from EWR to Grand Central Station or Penn Station

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
23,669 posts
1. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

The Airtrain connects to NJ Transit trains that go to Penn Station. panynj.gov/airports/ewr-ground-transportatio…

I think some of the buses may drop off at Grand Central, but be aware they can be hindered by traffic. …about.com/cs/…getto_ewr.htm

There is no direct connection to Grand Central from EWR. From Penn you can take the subway or a taxi if you need to get to Grand Central.

Are you making a train connection for an onward journey?

Corona, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
2. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

I visited NYC for my first time last Friday, here's what we did:

EWR---> Air Tran---> NJ transit Liberty---> Penn station NY.

The hallway to air tran is clearly marked when you de-plane. However, we had to go down the escalator to get luggage, then back up to follow the signs to the air tran. There was some confusion on which side of the platform to stand on once we got to the Liberty station to catch the train into NYC, but we just asked someone that looked like they knew what they were doing, and they were happy to help.

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
40 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

We just did this last week and found it to be really easy. To be honest next time we visit New York I'd be favouring ewr to jfk. Anyway, clearly signposted from the arrivals hall to the monorail, then train straight into Penn.

New York
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
4. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

I am having a hard time imagining a scenario where somebody would need to get to either Grand Central OR Penn Station. They are not really interchangeable.

I may well be mistaken, but as far as I know there are not too many destinations that can be reached by both. For places in Long Island or New Jersey, you'd need Penn; for Westchester County , Connecticut, or Upstate GCT is the way.

I suppose Amtrak from Penn Station has some overlap with the Metro-North out of Grand Central, but most people would have a preference for one or the other since there is such a difference is pricing and travel time.

Edited: 8:15 pm, July 13, 2016
Baton Rouge...
3 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

Thanks, it was really easy to go from EWR to Penn Station. We then were able to catch subway to our hotel

glasgow
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

Could anyone tell me if i would need to pay an additional $2 to travel to another subway station as the NJ Transit train stops at Penn?

Thanks

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

@ #6, Yes you would- no free transfer between commuter trains and the subway

glasgow
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

Thank you . Thought that was the case.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

Honestly, I would avoid the Train these days due to massive track repair work going on at Penn Station. I would rather take the Bus straight to Grand Central or take the Taxi.

10. Re: Simplest way to get from EWR to Grand Central or Penn Stati

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 11, 2018