We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
492 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Well, I have been planning for month for my surprise trip to NY with my with. She has no idea!! We leave Wednesday morning. Here is my final itinerary. Thanks to all on this forum who have helped me with some of the details. Any last minute thoughts on this itinerary is still appreciated.

Wednesday evening.- Arrive at 5:15. Have reservations for dinner and jazz at birdland for evening.

Thursday- 8:00-1:00. Liberty Island & Statue of Liberty.

1:00-5:00- Memorial site/wall street/

st. Pauls/walk up to Soho and Greenwich village.

6:00- Dinner at chez josephines

8:00- Broadway - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Friday-9:00-12:00- Empire State building & Little Italy

12:30- Lunch at River Cafe & after lunch walk back over Brooklyn Bridge

3:00-5:00- Tenement museum

6:00- Light dinner (not sure where)

8:00- Broadway-Julius Caesar

Saturday-9:00-1:00 Grand Central(Juniors Cheesecake)/5th Ave/Rockefeller Sq/Times Sq.

1:00-5:00- Central Park

6:00- Dinner at Carmines

8:00- Off Broadway- AlterBoyz

Sunday- Home early

Thats it!! Hope all goes well. Will definetly post when we come back, again a big thanks to those who help on this forum as a big portion of my itinerary came from you guys.

Mentioned in this post
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,826 Reviews
New York City, NY
SoHo
SoHo
3,673 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,495 Reviews
New York City, NY
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
69,990 Reviews
New York City, NY
Little Italy
Little Italy
3,189 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,984 Reviews
New York City, NY
Tenement Museum
Tenement Museum
5,774 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,234 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,267 Reviews
New York City, NY
Carmine's Italian Restaurant - Upper West Side
Carmine's Italian...
1,502 Reviews
New York City, NY
Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
492 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Actually Londonfamily thats part of the master plan....tell her just before we go, then no time for shopping!! Just kidding. I have given lots of thought as to when to tell her. Give her notice or just enjoy giving her a surprise. Pros and cons to both. Thanks for the last minute input. DM I took birdland over BB kings on your advice. Thanks for the dinner info, we may be tired from the trip and only want to make one stop for dinner and show, will play it by ear. Have thought about if it rains, particularly on the central park day, if so maybe spend some time at the Met. Oracle I dont think we will be walking as much as you think. I was thinking of taking a cab or subway from little italy to River Cafe. I have booked tour tickets for the tenement museum for 3:00-5:00. After tour will cab it back to the hotel to change for the evening. I guess we could walk also walk over and cab back, maybe see what the weather is like. Also I did look into the restaurants you mentioned and osteria looks awesome! Maybe a better choice than carmines?? Have made dinner reservations for chez josephines for thursday. One last thing, when we go from midtown hotel to battery park early thursday morning, what is the best way to get there, as I anticipate traffic as it is early on a workday. Is it cab, subway or bus?? Thanks again!!

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
492 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Oracle....Have looked at osterias menu one more time and have already phoned made a reservation for next Saturday evening. Thanks!!!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Wader, as long as you get on the right one (unlike us), the subway will be your best bet to get to Battery Park early in the morning. Have a fabulous trip - I think we're all waiting to see what reaction you get from Mrs Wader when you pop the surprise!

Mentioned in this post
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,245 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manhattan
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

From the Salisbury (that's where you're staying, right?), walk over to 57th St. & 7th Ave. and take the Downtown (make sure it says it's headed Downtown!) N or R train to Whitehall Street. It should take around 45 minutes. Don't worry about rush hour, just "enjoy" the experience and pity us poor fools who do this every day. In fact, I might see you on that very same train.

I didn't mean to give you such high expectations of Osteria al Doge.... I like it fine, but it's certainly not the greatest place in the world.... just a comfy decent pre-theater place. I actually prefer the food at Orso's (where it's really hard to get a reservation), and Osteria Stella (where it's also a bit on the noisy side).

As to not having the right clothes, tell your wife not to worry in the least. Bergdorf Goodman is right nearby, on 57th at 5th Ave. Bring a credit card with LOTS of wiggle room!

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury Hotel
Salisbury Hotel
4,047 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bergdorf Goodman
Bergdorf Goodman
259 Reviews
New York City, NY
Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
492 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Actually Oracle we are staying a couple blocks from Grand Central Station. When New Yorkers talk about the "train" I assume they mean the subway. When I looked at the menu for Osteria, it just had the kind of food we enjoy. We are not super fancy people so a comfy decent pre theatre place suits us just fine!!

Mentioned in this post
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,234 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manhattan
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Ahh, so you're closer to Lord & Taylor (39th St. & 5th Ave.) than Bergdorf's. My favorite dept. store.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
492 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Oracle, or should I say B......... enough with the shopping ideas!!LOL Where should we pick up the train for battery park from there?? PS, I look forward to River Cafe as that is on your advice!!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Which hotel are you staying at?

By the way, we do mean the subway when we say "train." But we also refer to our commuter rail lines as "trains." That's just to keep you guessing.

Can't resist the shopping tips. And I'm not even a shopper, I'm more anti-fashionista. But I do like Lord & Taylor.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
492 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Staying at the Shelburne Murray Hill.

Mentioned in this post
Murray Hill Diner
Murray Hill Diner
526 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manchester UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Its finally time to go!!! Itinerary-any last minute...

Hi Wader, We are springing the same surprise on our son for his 21st, he has no idea. We have now decided to give him 3 days notice to get his packing done because, being a typical student, most of his clothes will be in the laundry basket! Hope the trip goes well and your wife is thrilled to bits