We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotels

San Diego...
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotels

Hi!

Traveling to NYC for four days (thats all we can do, since we are leaving two small children at home) in late may. I am overwhelmed with the amount of hotel choices. This will be our first time going together as a couple. We don't want a low end hotel, I like nice hotels, but don't also want to pay an arm and a leg for it. Gym, pool, close to things, but I do not preferably want to be in time square. Something clean, modern, classy and fun. We are celebrating our 10 year anniversary. Thank you for all your recs! Much appreciated!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotels

Hey CS_Nelson:-) Not many hotels in Manhattan with pools, but you may want to take a look at the Parker Meridien.. should fit the bill for what you're looking for:-) You don't state a budget spread that would help but check to see prices for your dates;-) Congrats and Happy Anniversary planning.. always EnJOY!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotels

I like WestHouse and it's decorations, so modern and fancy looking. It is on Broadway/Time Square, far enough north of Time Square not to be noisy.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,246 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotels

If you require a pool, you severely limit your choices. Some hotel Pools are quite small. You only have 4 days. Will you have time to swim?

Hotel prices vary from day to day based on what is happening in town. And "an arm and a leg" is interpreted differently by different people. Is that $500 a night or $250 per night?

For useful advice please provide your exact dates, preferred budget and bed preference (is a queen sized ok?).

Happy Planning!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotels

Actually you're right. Pool is not at all necessary. But gym for sure is! We'd like to stay under $300 a night and a queen is totally fine!

Edited: 2:33 am, March 11, 2016
San Diego...
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotels

Thank you! Pool is probably unnecessary. Not sure what I was thinking! Lol! Will

Check

Out your suggestion! Thank you!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,246 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotels

Dates?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotels

That's OK, you were thinking San Diego, where every hotel has a pool. It's different here.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,078 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotels

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but late May ( all of May really) is expensive and under $300 is not going to get you the kind of hotel you want especially when taxes add 15% to hotel prices in NYC. You're really looking at hotels costing ~$250/night plus tax.. I looked at May 26-30 and here's what I found

-W Downtown is in the financial district which is not where most first time visitors want to stay but there's good value to be had there and it's now got plenty of dining nearby, the ferries to the Statue of Liberty, the new One World Observatory and Tribeca is not far. This W is very modern, relatively new and has a gym. The rate of $257 plus tax brings the total nightly cost to $299 but require prepaying and is not cancelable.

-The Duane St. Hotel in Tribeca (cool downtown area) is modern but in an old building. They don't have their own gym but give you free passes to a nearby gym. They have a $252 plus tax rate on a bunch of sites (hotels.com, orbitz, expedia, booking.com) that is fully cancelable.

-The Kimberly hotel in midtown, where most first timers stay is not so modern ( more traditional decor) but recently updated with huge rooms with kitchenettes, a good gym and a rooftop bar. There are non-cancelable rates as low as $235 plus tax on a number of websites.

You can see photos of all these on

Oyster.com

If you want to up the budget, I think the Gansevoort Park is close to what you had in mind and they do have a pool. The lowest price I see is $285 plus tax non-refundable on Priceline.com ( I use kayak.com as a search engine and they scan multiple booking sites.)

If you can get the lowest rate available directly from whatever hotel you pick, that preferable. Wherever you decide, let them know it's your 10th anniversary. Oten they'll upgrade you if they can, easier if you book directly with them.

Lots of good luck!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotels

Thank you nywiz! That's so helpful. We are staying may 23-26. So your date were pretty right on. This is real helpful!!!!

10. Re: Best Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 13, 2017