We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking by the Met

new jersey
Level Contributor
357 posts
154 reviews
Parking by the Met

Can anyone give me some insight on parking in the streets near the Metropolitan Museum of Art on a Sunday? TIA

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Parking by the Met

I don't think there are any tricks to street parking near the . My assumption is, the earlier the better. FYI there is paid parking at the Metropolitan, albeit expensive.

Diane

NYC Photo Safari

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,465 posts
2. Re: Parking by the Met

Here's the DOT parking rules map: http://www.nycdot.info/ (Zoom in on the area and then click the parking regulations box to see the rules for each block. If you move the map, you may need to re-click that box.)

Sundays are probably a bit easier than other days, but it depends on how much time and patience you have for hunting for parking.

You may want to check …bestparking.com/destinations/metropolitan-m… for nearby garages, rates and coupons for a possible back up plan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,044 posts
3. Re: Parking by the Met

Parking on the side streets is free if you can find a space. Depending on the time of year it may be quick (10 to 15 mins of circling) or take longer (30 minutes or more). Luck of the draw, plus size of your car (bigger the car the harder to find a space).

Last time I parked on the street I had a small sporty coupe and could fit into a lot of places that the gigantic SUVs had to pass by.

If it were me I would get there early enough to fit into the Met garage.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Parking by the Met

How far are you willing to walk? The further east you go, the better your chances will be. Since it is a Sunday and meters are not working, I would stick to the avenues.

new jersey
Level Contributor
357 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: Parking by the Met

Thank you all for the info!

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Parking by the Met

The DOT link that Kaye provided has helped me out a few times. If you have trouble finding street parking, check out Icon, they have numerous locations throughout Manhattan and their coupons are good if you're looking for a day rate:

http://www.iconparkingsystems.com/coupons/

Closter, New Jersey
1 post
7. Re: Parking by the Met

Hey, thank you so much for posting. Totally helpful!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,044 posts
8. Re: Parking by the Met

Partly depends on time of year. If in the summer there will be more spots open since so many people go away for the weekend. But unless you get there quite early and are willing to spend timid driving around looking for a place chances are not great. Also depends on the size of your vehicle. If it's a large one (larger SUV, etc - it will be a lot harder to find places (I have a subcompact and can often use spaces larger vehicles have to pass by).

If it were me I would put the car in the Met garage before it fills up.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
9. Re: Parking by the Met

I have often had good luck finding parking on Madison Avenue on Sundays. As others have said, earlier is better.

staten island
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Parking by the Met

I usually have luck right on Fifth Ave, a few blocks below the Met, on Sundays. Parking on Fifth Ave is on the other side of the street from the Met (but not directly across.)