We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

We are coming over for a 12 night stay with our 2 girls aged 7 and 4-don't want to plan out full itinery as we want to be flexible for the kids-they are good in cities as we regularly go on city breaks (never for 12 nights before!) nad we are satying at the Milburn UWS nr Central Park.

Bearing in mind the length of our stay, I am keen to explore the neighbourhoods esp Brooklyn-what would be good to see with kids?

We have tix for Loin King/ Barnum and Bailey circus and plan to watch the Easter Parade-also will do usual ESB/SoL etc

Is Greenwich Village a good area to hang out with kids?

Thanks to all who reply-nywhiz esp has been really helpful with previous posts!

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

Im not really sure about the neighbourhoods for kids, but if you want to do something that they will love, then go to FAO Schwartz at on 58th & 5th, get there just before they open and all the staff are dressed up, and toy soldiers roll out the red carpet for you, and all the staff are lined up as you walk in and all cheer and give a round of applause.

Keep walking straight ahead and see the what the safari guy has to say, and dont forget to go upstairs on the giant piano!!!

Opening times : Monday through Saturday - 10am

Sunday - 11am

Norway, Michigan
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

I really recommend Frommer's New York City With Kids - It has all kinds of tips - like accomadations, places to eat - what to see... etc...

Also gocitykids.com is a very good place to go ;)

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
203 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

I think the Village is fine for kids, but keep in mind - it's the Village and NYC isn't always G-rated. There are a share of racy store windows. It's a must if you've never been. It's so beautiful and amazing. The gritty-trendy meat-packing district might be fun.

Central Park is great. SoHo is my favoriite. For kids, China Town might be especially exciting. Depending on when you're going, DUMBO & Brooklyn Hieghts have beautiful views of Manhattan and some nice little places to eat and shop. And everyone always seems to like Union Square, especially on Greenmarket days.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

I do not think the Village is a good place for kids, because there are many risque stores (some with sexual windows). I'd concentrate on the museums. They'll love the Museum of Natural History, with it's big stuffed animals and dinosaur bones... the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) with it's real Egyptian mummys and "knights in shining armor"... also there's a very nice Children's Museum on the Upper West Side. Another suggestion, the Intrepid. I think the kids will love that. Where else do they see jets on a boat (aircraft carrier). Also, consider the Circleline 1/2 day trip, or Spirit of NY (includes meal and DJ entertainment), to see skyline view and Statue of Liberty. NYC has much for kids. I wouldn't walk them too much though. Know where you're going, and get there. By the way, pick up NY Magazine for all museum info.

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

thanks for all the info-I have purchased a copy of frommers NY with Kids Guide.

I wasn't aware that thetre were Adult shops in Greenwich Village-the guide books don't highlight that so that info was especially useful!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
203 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

If that bothers you, you should street clear of parts of Times Square, too. It's better than it used to be, but some parts are still like the old days.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,493 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

I think I've mentioned before the Easter Parade is not really a parade, more a "happening" with what you'd call buskers. Fun though.

Brooklyn Heights is a lovely area of Brooklyn to explore and probably the closest to the city. It's family friendly. The Brooklyn Promenade has great views of the Manhattan skyline and some swings etc. for the kids.

Here's a list of parks around the city and descriptions

nymetro.com/urban/…playgrounds1.htm

One idea is to make a different park a destination and then explore that area. I hear the park called Hudson River Park is new and fun. This sits right on the edge of the trendy meatpacking district so fun for the grownups too ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,493 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

Don't forget as posted by someone else here, there are free walks in Central Park which can be a fun way of seeing the park and meeting other people. Look on centralparknyc.org for info and then check their listings for kids.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 night stay-neighbourhoods?

Brooklyn is a fabulous place to go with kids.

2 main suggestions-

Hit the Park Slope/Prospect park area.

In the park there is a great carousel, a historically accurate "homestead", a small and very child centered zoo, a wonderful childe centered Audobon center, and they are all coneccted by a free trolley.

The trolley also can take you to the Brooklyn CHildren's museum.

The Park slope neighborhood is full of families- a great eating place is Two Boots. It is a fusion of Italian and Cajun cuisine and has a big window into the kithen where kids can watch the pizza dough being thrown and are even given small peice to play with themselves.

And go to Coney Island.

The aquarium there is lovely.

Oh- also the central park zoo is a perfect size for kids.