We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NBA match

malieboe
4 posts
Save Topic
NBA match

Hi!

Firsttimer to NY and me and my friend would like to go to an NBA match. We are in New York from the 22nd March to the 27th.

I saw on the NBA site that the Knicks are playing on the 23rd and the Nets on the twice that week. How can I book tickets? Is the Nets stadium reachable by public transport? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NBA match

THIS IS INFO ABOUT THE NJ NETS - they play in the MEADOWLANDS IN East Rutherford NJ at the Continetal airlines arena

THEY NEVER EVER SELL OUT - you can get your tickets the night of the game OR you can go to meadowlands dot come, you will have to pay more that way, of course the earlier you buy, the better your chances of getting good seats

Continental arena is small, any seat is good

here is the BUS info

BUS INFO - Port Auth 8th Ave and 41st BUY your RT ticket in the SOUTH BLDG. Inquire where the bus leaves from, sometimes for large events the bus leaves from AREA X which is between SOUTH AND NORTH bldgs on 41st Street

Otherwise MED buses leave from PLATFORM 305 - upstairs in NORTH bldg, so you have to cross over on the second floor - MAKE SURE YOU GET ON THE ARENA BUS - NOT the racetrack bus, ask the driver

Bus takes 20 mins door to door. Roundtrip cost is about $8

malieboe
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NBA match

Thanks a lot for the quick response!!

How about the Knicks? I guess they do sell out? Is there any possiblity to get tickets when I am there (day before or day itself) or...

DM
washington DC
Level Contributor
708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NBA match

"THE NETS NEVER SELL OUT."

Actually, I have been to a few Nets games in the past couple of years that were sold out.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NBA match

HERE THEY ARE YOUR LAST PLACE NEW YORK KNICKS - amazingly Knicks tickets are easily available at all price levels, for both SPURS on 3/21 and Celtics on 3/23, there are also DISCOUNT codes for net purchasers, I don't have them, maybe DM does. There are also discounts for AMEX gold card members thru TICKETMASTER. There is a quirky thing about Knicks tix, they might be available on the net but if you try to buy at the box office to avoid the HIGH TM surcharges, you might be told at the Box office that they are sold out, when in fact tix are available on line

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NBA match

DM - for the past 3 years, NJ NET tickets have been extremely to get! I am constantly getting snail mail and email with reduced price offers and deep discount 2 for 1 seats

They might tell you at the box office that they are sold out, but they truly are not. Call ahead if you have questions, most week nights Continental arena is barely half full, its kinda said

They were talking about moving CCA to Newark, those plans gotshelved when Charlie Kushner got in trouble, he was partners with John Corzone and it had the backing of the previous Guv, as far as I know, it isn't going to happen. From what local papers have reported here in the Garden State, NETS continue to have some kind of financial woes

California
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NBA match

The Knicks are woeful this year, but you have to see a game in MSG rather than the Nets arena. The only home game during your stay is Wed. March 23rd against Boston. They play the Spurs on March 21st. They go on the road after March 23rd for over a week. I'm going to the March 23rd game against Boston and I would not trust that tickets are available day of game, despite the Knicks glorious last place record. Try Ticketmaster, www.stubhub.com or www.knicks.com and click on the TixExchange link.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NBA match

AND HERE THEY ARE YOUR VERY OWN LAST PLACE NEW YORK KNICKS! Sorry Gauchos, but haven't the Knicks been WOEFUL EVERY year since 1971??? LOL!

I checked the TM site before I posted my info above, so surprisingly there are still tix available for the K vs Celtics game

I agree with you about Knick game at MSG vs Nets at Continental Arena. Madison Square Garden is the most exciting sports arena on the East coast, superior in so many ways (the only CCA has goind for it is plenty of parking)

malieboe
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NBA match

Great info you guys!

I have another question... is there any seat in MSG which should be absolutely avoided, where you can't see a single thing?

So I think Ticketmaster is the way to go?

California
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: NBA match

I would try and get a seat at the 200 level or below, but they're much pricier. 300 level is okay but try and avoid the 400 level seats. If you're going simply for the experience of an NBA game at Madison Square Garden, I would settle for a 300 level seat and save money. If you're a big fan of the Knicks, Celtics or NBA basketball, splurging for lower level seats might be worth it.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NBA match

Watched the Nicks vs Sonics game on Sunday evening. Got tickets via Ticketmaster.com for around $45 dollars (section 341).

Used the 'WillCall' facility and picked the tickets up an hour before the game started. Easy to get to the MSG (via subway - 34th Street Penn Station, about a 500yard walk to stadium).

i'm a keen follower of most sports, but not an avid basketball fan. The seats were fine if you want to get an insight into the game, savour the atmosphere and enjoy a hot-dog and cold beer.

Unfortunately the Nicks went down 90-80... the game was quite close until the 4th Qtr, until the Nicks ran out of steam.

Full recommend a visit.

ps. If you use the will calll facility remember to bring photo ID and the original credit card you booked the tickets on.