We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK International Airport: a real life experience

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
JFK International Airport: a real life experience

I passed through JFK today:

It was very dirty and run down. The windows were smeared, there was trash on the floors, on the chairs. The chairs were sticky (some broken). Additionally, the restrooms in terminals 2 and 8 were filthy.

I recommend using other International airports in the US for ingress/egress.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: JFK International Airport: a real life experience

Thank you. I will let them all know to use Miami International instead.

Edited: 11:15 pm, October 24, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,477 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: JFK International Airport: a real life experience

Airport schmairport.....

It must be very important to you to pass this information on because you've posted it three times now.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: JFK International Airport: a real life experience

I can assure you the employees of the airport do not drop garbage, smear windows, break chairs or act like pigs in the restroom. I know of no New Yorkers making trips to the airport to do this either. The terminals are cleaned but there are no personal maids. People have to act appropriately and use trash cans etc. etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: JFK International Airport: a real life experience

Lol @ Aynat ....!!!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,990 posts
5. Re: JFK International Airport: a real life experience

Since they said they flew in from Japan in the other posts, I suspect severe jet lag. I've done that flight and it's brutal.

(Also someone who hasn't seen the delightful conditions in other Port Authority facilities.)

Edited: 11:59 pm, October 24, 2015
Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: JFK International Airport: a real life experience

Dallas/Ft Worth International airport is a nice entry way for International visitors.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: JFK International Airport: a real life experience

Well, this is a travel forum yet some readers seem to think that if a traveler informs other travelers that their city's airport is dirty --that it is a personal attack and those readers who do not want that info up have Trip Advisor pull the posting (pretty easy to accomplish).

It is my understanding that the Trip Advisor forums are for sharing experiences as a way to help other travelers make better traveling decisions. That is why I read the forums when I travel--and that is why I share my experiences.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
8. Re: JFK International Airport: a real life experience

I agree. I am simply relaying my experience . Other large city International airports seem to have a better ability to keep their facilities clean despite the large volume of visitors. I am not the first traveler to point out the failings of JFK International. It continues to make the "worst airports" list(s) as compiled by CNN and others.

The travel forum is for sharing experiences so that other travelers can make better informed decisions when traveling.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
9. Re: JFK International Airport: a real life experience

Thank you. Yes, I had jet lag. Yes, the poor state of the airport facilities was real.