We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to spend in NY?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How many days to spend in NY?

I was wondering how many days we should allocate on spending in New York. We will be going December 2005 (2 adults and 2 kids who will be 11 and 4 by then). We really want to do and see as much as we can.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

Spend all you got. It will be worth it. It's a big city.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

We recently spent a week in NYC and felt that we could have stayed even longer! There is so much to see and do! Try figuring out what you really want to see and do and come up with a plan. Since you have 4 year old, I know you will have to factor in how much your little one can handle. Perhaps you could do something, then go back to your hotel for a rest and go out again.

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

You really need a week - there is just so much to see ! I have been to NY 4 times in the last 3 years, and now my son lives here, so I will be spending 5 weeks here this coming Dec/Jan. I recommend a midtown hotel or apartment as you can access all of the city easily, either by bus or subway ( get a metrocard) and walking is easy with the grid system of streets. Must see list - Empire state building, cruise past statue of liberty - get a ferry from Battery Park, Macys Department store, 10 times the size of DJs or Grace Bros in Sydney ! walk through Central Park to the Metropolitan museum of Art (closed on Mondays ) Times square - see a show, in December the Rockettes Xmas show is good -especially with kids, Xmas tree in Rockerfellar plaza. Do plenty of research, order a state guide from www.stateguide.com - you can get a guide from any state that you are going to and they post to Aust. Just remember it is REALLY cold in December, allow for the windchill factor, and do not worry about walking around NYC - it is one of safest cities.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

Hi

It is a big city and there is a lot to see and do there. My wife and I stayed there 6-7 days in July 2004 and I feel as if we just scratched the surface of what NYC has to offer. I have posted a trip report with pictures from our trip on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard

manhatan beach, ca
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

My first time there, I only stayed about 5 days, which was not enough time to visit this amazing city. At least stay for 1 full week. Also, felt very safe walking around Manhattan, even alone at 1am in the morning!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

Thanks everyone for your help...we are aiming at staying for at least 10 days and we are now starting to think that we may actually stay a couple of days less in Disneyland and stay even longer in NY. I have always wanted to visit NY and have been to the US three time but never made it to NY... I can't wait!! Gardkarlsen, thanks for the link to your report. It made for great reading. I highly recommend reading it.

Many thanks,

Aussie

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

I have been several times and can't get my fill in less than two weeks.

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

Dont cut your time short at Disneyland - the kids will kill you !! If you haven't been before it will take 2 days and that doesn't include California Experience. If you can stay at a Disney hotel - you get in an hour before the crowds and learn about fast pass. But dont take time for NY from Disneyland.

Colchester, Essex...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

Did you ever go to Mr Biggs (BAR)?

manhatan beach, ca
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days to spend in NY?

Dear Aussiefamily..If you are going to Disneyland for the first time, you would need at least 2 or 3 days. Disneyland is decorated nicely for Christmas! And if you go to Disney's California Adventure, definitely go on the Soarin over CA ride, very cool! If you're still in town, don't miss the Boat Parade of Lights at Newport Beach(this is already close to Anaheim). Have fun visiting CA and NY!!!