We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Service Time Question

British Columbia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Service Time Question

Hello, I am wondering what restaurant hours typically mean in New York? If a restaurant website says their hours are 11am-10pm does that mean they close at 10pm or they take their last seating at 10pm? I know that I should call ahead to be sure but I am just wondering what is typical so that when we are there and decide we want to go to a restaurant at 930pm and their website says open till 10pm we aren't being jerks

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Service Time Question

That probably means the kitchen closes at 10.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,038 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Service Time Question

" I know that I should call ahead to be sure"

Yup. There is no typical, but I would not go to a restaurant at 9:30 if it says it closes at 10 unless it's for take out. Whether they lock the doors at 10 or the kitchen closes at 10, you are keeping people who want to clean up and go home from doing so and you will feel rushed and/or resented.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,263 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Service Time Question

Many restaurants with 10:00 p.m. closing times list Opentable reservations for as late as 9:45.

I personally wouldn't go in that late as I don't think it would be a good experience. But I would go in at 9:30.

I just consider it kind of an unspoken "deal" I'm making with the place.

"Thanks for seating me this late, now let me give you my order quickly and I plan on being out of here by 10:15 or 10:30 at latest and won't be lingering over coffee".

I don't think places with a 10:00 closing time necessarily expect the place to be empty at 10:01.

4. Re: Restaurant Service Time Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 16, 2016