We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hopper Bus vrs Subway

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Hopper Bus vrs Subway

Hi

I am visiting New York with my 2 daughters (19 & 22 yrs) in April 2007. Last year I visited with my wife and we used the hopper bus for 3 days. I was going to use this again but have found areas such as Canal Street and others that are not covered by it. The subway system looks good but I am confused re stations. We will be staying at the Radio City Apartments and it would appear that from the Time square subway I can catch a train to Union Central and then to any of the areas from there (ie to Battery Park and cover Ground Zero, Century 21 etc ) Am on on the right track or totally on the wrong Platform !!

Also what type of weather can we expect mid to late April.

Thanks

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hopper Bus vrs Subway

For subway directions, check out these websites:

www.hopstop.com

http://www.brail.org/transit/nycgoogle.html

The subway seems a lot more intimidating than it is. Just read the trip reports here. Nobody reports having a bad time using the subway (except for 1 or 2 reports, and they figured it out pretty quickly.)

For "everything you wanted to know about the subways, but were afraid to ask", read GreenWhiteBlue's excellent "Idiot's Guide to the Subway"

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k405666-… The_Idiot_s_Guide_to_the_Subway-

If you end up on the wrong train, get off, turn around and go back weher you started.

If you get separated, all should agree to get off at the next stop and wait for the rest of the group, and then continue. Don't try to double-back.

Use a map and ask for directions. Locals will help you. Also, every station has wall maps near the clerk's booth of the subway system and the neighborhood.

Just keep in mind, we have express and local trains that use a four track system. The express trains do not stop at every station. Local trains stop at all stations, and run "against the wall" (you'll understand this once you get here.) Express trains are generally in the center tracks. On a subway map, the black dots indicate a local stop and the white dots indicate an express stop.

To go from one to the other in the same direction, you simply cross the platform.

Here is a schematic to help you out.

General lay-out of subway tracks:

=====<<<local<<<=======

=====<<<<express<<<=====

=====>>>express>>>>=====

=====>>>local>>>>=======

I believe that the NYC subway is the oldest and still the only urban commuter transit system to have a 4-track layout with separate local and express tracks.

There are two main types of stations:

Local stop:

/////////////platform/////////////////

=====<<<local<<<=======

=====<<<<express<<<=====

=====>>>express>>>>=====

=====>>>local>>>>=======

Express stop:

=====<<<local<<<=======

=====<<<<express<<<=====

=====>>>express>>>>=====

=====>>>local>>>>=======

(Sure, there are rare exceptions to this layout, such as Columbus Circle, but it won't be a giant mystery where to go.)

More similar questions and helpful hints:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k602851-… New_York_City_New_York.html Subway_Refresher_course

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k588953-… Help_with_Subways

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k59937-S… Subways_for_Dummies-New_York_City_New_York.html

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k404879-… Idiots_guide_to_the_subway?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k540343-… New_York_City_New_York.html Subway_Color_Code-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k253684-… Subway-New_York_City_New_York.html

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hopper Bus vrs Subway

The hop on-hop off bus is an expensive way that tourists can sightsee while receiving commentary along a narrow route. The subway system is the way that New Yorkers get around the city. There are 468 stations, and a number of routes along tracks that were built as three different systems, but which are now all integrated into one.

I am not sure what you mean when you say you are confused about stations on the subway. Since you must know that stations are where the trains stop and people get on and get off, what else do you need to know about them?

You refer to the "Time Square subway". I assume you mean the Times Square subway STATION (and notice it is called Times Square, and not Time Square -- it is named for the Times newspaper.) That station (or rather, the comples that is a combination of four separate stations each called Times Square) is served by NINE different subway lines (# 1,2,3,and 7, and the N, R, W, Q, and S). Times Square is also connected by a free transfer to the station at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue, which is served by the A, C, and E trains. It is the major subway transfer point in midtown, and you really need to know both where you want to go and what line you want to use in order to get on the train there!

There is no place in New York City called "Union Central".

There is a Grand Central Terminal. t is a railroad terminal, and it is also the name of the subway stations under it. To get from Times Square to Grand Central one would take the # 7 or S trains.

There is also a different place two miles away called Union Square. To get there from Times Square, one would take the N, Q, R or W trains.

You can get to Battery Park very easily by taking a train directly from Times Square (the #1 on weekdays, the R or W on weekends); there is no need to transfer anywhere.

The easiest way to get to the World Trade Cener from Times Square is to walk through the passage to Eight Avenue and then take the E train. If you want to go to the World Trade Center from Times Square, taking the shuttle to Grand Central or a train to Union Square and then transferring would make no sense at all.

Century 21 is across the Street from the World Trade Center,a nd you would also reach it on the E train.

The weather in April is "as changeable as the weather". I have seen temperatures in the 90's in April, and yet I have also seen snow on Easter Sunday.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hopper Bus vrs Subway

Thanks for your replies.

Starting to make some sense of it sorry for the mistaken info, I did mean Grand Central Station.

My confusion was getting my head route differant routes looking at the subway maps online but its now starting to make some sense.

Thanks again

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,860 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hopper Bus vrs Subway

Peegee, it really is so much simpler than you think. First of all, you probably will NEVER have to start or end (or connect) at EITHER Times Square or Grand Central UNLESS that is your specific destination.

Look at your Subway map again - I don't know exactly where Radio City Apartments are, but I think they are fairly close to where I just stayed - around 49th/50th Sts. Many lines have stations right along there - if you are going to Canal St., take the N/R/W. If you are going to Battery Park, Take the 1. If you are going to Greenwich Village take the BDFV, etc (I may not have gotten them all perfectly).

I was lucky that I was not near an Express Stop, but it looks like you might be, so that will be one thing you have to watch out for - don't get on an Express train unless your destination is also an Express stop - but there will be signs. Trains run frequently so if you just arrive on a platform and a train pulls in and you're not sure...don't get on, let it go and wait for the next one, that way you'll be sure you are going in the correct direction. And ASK anyone also waiting, they ride them every day. And there are police in almost every platform, too - ASK them.

It is truly one of those things that sound more complicated in words than actually doing them, like tying your shoes.

QB - I love your drawings :) What we loved about NOT being on Express trains is when we shared a tunnel with them, they were so spooky, like a phantom Hogwarts train racing us to the next stop. They always won :(

5. Re: Hopper Bus vrs Subway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, August 26, 2009