We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My List of Broadway Shows

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
My List of Broadway Shows

This is a list of MY OPINION of the current Broadway shows

I have seen EVERY one of the shows on this list and this is based on FIRST HAND INFORMATION, what I saw, what I like and what I did not like very much

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - this show is SO GREAT that the first thing I did when I got home, was bought tickets to see it again. It is the best thing on Broadway, you will laugh from beginning to end!

The Lion King - If you can only see one show - this is the one you shouldn't miss! I have seen it twice, becareful about upper balc seats, there are bars which block your view. We had box seats the first time (very hard to get) and Mezz the 2nd time, both were great. Mezz is actually as good or better than rear orch seats in this very small theater

CHICAGO - one of my very favorites, but be careful about who is in the cast, I saw it with BeBe Neuwirth, she's the best!

WICKED - the critics are right, this show is great, loved it

Avenue Q - this is very funny, but NOT for kids

DEMOCRACY - ok if drama is your thing

The Marijuanalogues - Laughed from beginning to end, got to meet Tommy Chong after the show. Don't think he is in it, but this is a good show for you visitiors who are "Left of Center"

12 Angry Men - excellent

THE PRODUCERS - is terribly overrated, I saw it twice, again the tix were free and it was NYE so I had to go. My seats were so good that SJP was sitting 4 rows behind me, with Victor Garber and Anne Bankroft, the after party was better than the play itself. One thing did make this a great show, Mel Brooks showed up and played the Judge in the court room scene, he was pranking Nathan and Matt and they did not know, that one scene was hysterically funny, but one scene doesn't make it a hit!

Glass Menagerie - Jessica Lange was superb, the rest of the cast was Ho-Hum

Fiddler on the Roof - good because the tix were free

Good for the kids, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (i think Under the Bridge closed)

RENT - I thought it was awful, a few of the cast could sing, but the story was obtuse, I know, I used to LIVE in the E Village! Frenchy Davis from AI is in it, she has a great voice!

700 Sundays - I did NOT like it, BC fans only need attend

Hairspray - I walked out at intermission, what a stinkburger

Mamma Mia - Didn't like it

Movin Out - got tix as a gift and gave them away, I have seen Billy in person, why would I want to see this???

arizona
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

THanks for the list, Honest John.

Is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels OK for children? Any language or s*x or anything?? Thanks.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

There were children in the audience, for DRS, there are no explicit adult scenes, no nudity.

You would have to check with the theater if there is an age cut-off

It would be a waste of time for any child 8 or under, they just would not get the jokes, although they would love all the song and dance

My first pick for a kid is Lion King, second pick Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

Thanks for the extensive listing. I have a friend who's going to NYC in April, and I'd love to tell her your opinions, but that would be secondhand hearsay, and I don't retain a lawyer.

Pleasanton, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

HonestJohn - Live near SF and attend lots of theatre - didn't like Producers, Liked Hairspray - LOVED Mamma Mia (have seen it 7 times), Didn't like Movin Out, LOVED Lion King (have seen it 4 times). Will be seeing Slava's Snowstorm with my hubby and 10 year old daughter who is a Big Lion King and Mamma Mia fan! Question for you - with all of that said, what would be your order of preference between Fiddler on the Roof (we have just rented the DVD), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - reviews I read when in Chicago (I think) weren't the best, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrel?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

I posted my picks in the order that I liked them

As stated above DRS is SO GOOD that when i got home, i went online and bought tix to see it again! I have never done that with any other show, but I wanted to get great seats because I knew it had HIT written all over it! I had 7th row the first time and was lucky enough to get 4th row for next week!

Lion King is my second pick and it is great for both children and adults

Now I find your question slightly perplexing

Chitty Chitty is STRICTLY for kids (I accompanied my Fiance and her kids)

Fiddler although it doesn't contain any adult themes, seems to me a play that a younger child would be bored with so LK, CCBB and B&TB are the better picks for kids

CHICAGO is a strictly adult theme and a story about marrital infidelity, so there is no way I would take a younger child to see this

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

John- Did you see chitty in London? It has not opened here yet. I wonder how the London and NYC casts will differ?

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

I was pulling for "Ragtime" when "The Lion King" mopped the floor with it at the Tony's.

I still think "Ragtime"'s score was far superior. There wasn't a throwaway lyric in the entire show, a weak rhyme, or a song less than magical.

So, what's the point? My gut tells me that "Spamalot" will spank "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". The thing has already taken on a life of its own and unless something completely unpredictable happens with the reviews, it seems like the critics are going to salivate over "Spamalot" while DRS only recieved modest reviews overall.

DRS may indeed be the better show but it sure has an uphill climb to go toe-to-toe with what already is a bit of a phenomenom.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

We are going to try and get tickets for Chicago during our Dec trip. This was Hubby's choice, I wanted to watch Phantom :( Im sure I will get to see it sometime soon though.

I went to see Mamma Mia in LV and loved it, its just a happy feel good production with lots of Abba, what more could I gal want :)

Thanks for the reviews.

Emma

Grand Lake, Colorado
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

I am going to see "mama mia" in 2 weeks, and just know i'm gonna love it!! People on this forum have been so great in helping me pick out the perfect show to see, and Mama mia is definently the one! As a matter of fact, i am listening to ABBA right now!! Honest john, sorry you didn't like it, but i am trusting other people on this board who "have seen it".....and they loved it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My List of Broadway Shows

Emma - if you had to choose between CHICAGO and Phantom, there isn't even a choice here

CHICAGO is a revival of a timeless Fosse classic, Phantom is a rehash of an old silent movie

Chicago wins this one hands down!