We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Visit 11/29-11/30 - Itinerary Help

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Topic
NYC Visit 11/29-11/30 - Itinerary Help

Visiting 2 days hope to arrive to NYC @ 6PM and check in to EconoLodge TImes Square. We will be staying in the Super 8 Motel for our second night, we will leave our luggage at one of these hotels during the day.

We would like to do the following: Museum of Modern Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggeinheim, Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Tree, Chinatown, Little Italy, and other ethnic neighborhoods..(any heavily Irish areas ?), catch a Broadway show

Does anyone have hints on cheap tickets for museums / Broadway ?

Is there a dress code for Broadway ?

Am I too late to see a live TV show ?

Any must-do's I am missing here ?

Thanks for any assistance, we loook forward to coming to your beautiful city again ! We have been to NYC a few times, but never had a set itinerary, causing us to waste a lot of time...

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Visit 11/29-11/30 - Itinerary Help

The collection at the Guggenheim is not nearly as interesting as the bulding. Had you thought of the Frick, or the Whitney, or the Brooklyn Museum?

Chinatown is of course Chinese, but to imagine that the tourist trap known as Little Italy is by any definition an "Italian" neighborhood these days is thoroughly mistaken. If you want an Italian neighborhood, try Staten Island -- or parts of Williamsburg, or Bensonhurst. You better move fast, though -- the Italians are moving out, as the Irish largely did from their old neighborhoods years ago. Other ethnic neighborhoods include the Russians in Brighton Beach, the Koreans in Flushing, the Indian shoping district in Jackson Heights (which also is South American), the Satmar Hasidim in other parts of Williamsburg, the Poles in Greenpoint, the Greeks in Astoria, and the West Indians in East Flatbush.

There is no dress code for Broadway. People go wearing all sorts of clothes, including things adults should know better than to wear to the theater in New York.

No one can tell you if you are too late to get tickets for aTV show because you did not say when you get here.

And there is no such thing as a must-do, except as determined by your own taste. Only you can answer THAT question...

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Visit 11/29-11/30 - Itinerary Help

Sounds very busy. Do you have two full days to cover all of this? MOMA, Met and Guggenheim will take up all of at least one day and you still won't be doing them justice. Grand Central and Rockefeller Centre can be just look and go but then you might want to spend time in these areas. You should decide on either the "ethnic neighbourhoods" or a show and sights. I really think that you are pushing yourselves a bit with the three museums but others will have differing ideas.

Whatever you do - enjoy.

Helen in Aus

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Visit 11/29-11/30 - Itinerary Help

visiting 11/29 and 11/30....

BTW - staying in Jersey 12/1 - sow we will spend all day 11/30 in NYC, as well...

Thanks !

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Visit 11/29-11/30 - Itinerary Help

Hey, I love museums, but that's a lot of "museum air" to breathe in 3 days!

The Met Museum is pay-what-you-wish at all times. Decide what you want to pay ahead of time. Hand over the cash and tell the cashier how many people (e.g. hand over a $20 and say "Three, please." or what have you.)

You might consider taking the audio highlights tour.

The MOMA does not offer admission discounts (except some corporate.) but it is free Friday afternoons. One cheapo and one full-price museum is a good match.

The top Irish neighborhoods that come to mind are not in Manhattan, but there are plenty of good Irish bars around with lots of ex-pats! See this post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k842413-… Good_irish_bar-

What to wear to the theatre:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k846051-… What_to_wear_to_the_theater-

More importantly, when attending the theatre, be hygienic, show up on time, turn off cell phones, don't talk during the show, don't kick the seat of the person in front of you, and don't unwrap noisy wrappers. If you have the sniffles, pop that lozenge early!

Also, many theatres are old institutions that are landmarked. This means narrow seating, lots of stairs up to the balconies (some have only service elevators to the top) and tiny bathrooms. (We're all used to this.)

If anyone has a mobility problem, check with the theatre to see if they have elevators or special seating. Also, relieve yourself elsewhere before the show.

Discounts theatre tickets:

It is better to buy tix for a specific show in advance.

For discount codes:

www.broadwaybox.com

You can purchase same-day discount tix at our two TKTS booths. Cash or traveller's cheques only.

The one at the South Street Seaport opens earlier and is typically less crowded, although lines at both booths move fairly quickly.

http://www.tdf.org/tkts/

Read about shows here and then go for it!

www.playbill.com

www.theatremania.com

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Visit 11/29-11/30 - Itinerary Help

I agree with GWB and QB on two accounts -

I'm a museum rat and I think that is too much time in museums.

I would also agree that the Guggeinheim is sometimes a let down. (Their Russia show last year was fun though)

I think skip the Guggeinheim.

6. Re: NYC Visit 11/29-11/30 - Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, August 24, 2009