We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat downtown?

London, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Where to eat downtown?

We will be staying at the Embassy suites - Battery Park, with our 3 teenage children and would like some ideas for good value/moderate restaurants near there so that we can walk out on occasion.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat downtown?

You might try Biddy Early's pub at 43 Murray Street. I usually eat at the bar in the front, but there are tables in the back as well. The food is decent and relatively inexpensive for Manhattan.

For more info and the menu, look here:

http://www.biddyearlyspub.com/

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat downtown?

You have some nice options literally under your hotel!

Lilli's Noodles is a nice place for Chinese and sushi.

For some strange reason, there is another sushi place on the river-facing side of the building - Pac Rim. A little nicer and a little more $$ than Lilli's.

There's a new casual Italian and pizza place that just opened on the corner site of the buliding, but I haven't tried it yet.

I'd avoid the Applebee's at your hotel. We locals on this forum eschew chain restaurants of all stripes (except Starbuck's maybe?), and Applebee's is one of them!

Next door in the World Financial Center, try SouthWest NY. Nice food, nice view, good patio if the weather is warm. (Pun: it is located in the southwestern corner of Manhattan Island and it serves American Southwestern food.)

Here is a list of food options in the WFC.

http://www.worldfinancialcenter.com/dining/

If you're not on a tight budget, then I'd recommend any of the places in the WFC. They are a cut above your average workaday lunch places. (Except for Au Bon Pain and Cosi. Those are pretty average and kind of a mess at lunch. ) If you can spare the calories, def try some Ciao Bella gelato. Yum!

Moving east, there are plenty of options.

First of all, if you just want a slice of decent NYC pizza, go to Conca Cocina on Murray St. and West Broadway. Looks like a dump, but you get a nice slice!

On Murray and Greenwich Streets, there's Gee Whiz - a typical diner. Endless varied menu and fast service, so it's ideal for picky and impatient eaters, or if you can't agree on what to eat and you're in a hurry.

North on Greenwich St. you get some nicer places. Dine at Robert DeNiro's Tribeca Grill. Not too expensive, great service, nice decor, good food.

Here's a previous post where I list a lot of places near the Embassy Suites.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k791075-… Embassy_Suites_Any_advice_please-

Keep in mind that it is WINDY where you are, esp in the winter.

You can read reviews of NYC restaurants on these websites:

www.menupages.com

www.newyork.citysearch.com

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat downtown?

I don't know when you are coming but the Alliance for Downtown New York is running a special offer for 3 course $30 prix fixe dinners at the following restuarants. The special runs from Nov 13th - Nov 19th

http://www.downtownny.com/?sid=326

4. Re: Where to eat downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 25, 2009