We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
651 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

My girlfiend and I will be staying at the Crowne Plaza in Times Square, and it will be our first time in NYC. Can anyone recommend a traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square, where we can experience the best meal of the day ?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

I don't know about the best meal of the day, but a traditional diner at 1650 Broadway is Ellen's Stardust Diner. They open at 7:00 AM. Typical diner food, singing waitstaff, quick and efficient service, at least it was when I've eaten there.

For other alternatives, there are many deli, cafes in the area. You won't go hungry.

Poppa

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

I don't know if I would call Ellen's "typical"; it is more like a "diner themed" restaurant than a real diner. And in your typical diner,

1) the prices are much lower, and

2) the waitresses don't sing!

Don't get me wrong -- Ellen's can be fun, but I don't think it is what you are looking for. Also be aware that in Manhattan, the "coffee shop" is the equivalent of the "diner" one would find in Queens or New Jersey, so if you see a place that calls itself that, go in. A true diner is a freestanding building, and other than such anomalies as the Cheyenne Diner, you won't find that in Manhattan.

spain
Level Contributor
781 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

How about Joe Allen? Its not too far and whilst a bit "touristy" is still an old school American diner..

joeallenresturant.com

sunshinebob.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

I'd agree with GreenWhiteBlue about the Stardust. I haven't had breakfast there, but was not impressed with dinner on a couple of occasions. Kind of fun place, though, if you like that kind of stuff.

The Roxy Deli on Broadway, and about 47th St. is neither a diner nor typical. It is a bit high priced. But I think you would get a bodacious diner style breakfast. You can go to HoJo's a block or two down and pay the same overprice and get much less quality for your money.

That said, I don't know that Times Square offers a lot of what you are looking for. But if you walk down Broadway toward Macy's and 34th Street, you will be heading into the Garment District, a very busy area during the week. There will likely be all kinds of small breakfast and lunch places where you can get a cheap breakfast with real NYC flavor. I don't have a particular place to recommend. Note that, on the weekend, the area will be fairly dead, and most places will be closed.

Other than that, I'll be eager to hear about any other places that folks know about.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

Joe Allen is a good choice for pre- or apres-theater, but it's not a diner and doesn't serve breakfast.

Try the Brooklyn Diner, on W. 57th between Broadway and 7th Ave. Be careful though, the portions are enormous!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

I was just reminded of another eating establishment in the TS area. It is not a typical free-standing typical diner as explained by GWB; definitely no singing waitstaff!.

Billed as Cafe Edison, 228 W. 47th, between 7th and 8th Avenue (15 seconds from 7th Avenue) it's connected to the Hotel Edison at the same address.

Extensive menu, open early until late, they recommended calling for business hours. Phone (212) 840-5000.

Again depending on your tastes it may or may not be your best meal of the day.

And as has been mentioned, there are many small coffee shops/cafes in the area. In fact right adjacent to the Edison is a 24 hour 'deli' with all sorts of food available.

Poppa

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
253 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

Someone mentioned the Olympic Diner near TS in another post. Anyone know it?

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

Hi. I stayed in Times Square earlier this year and ate breakfast at Applejack's Diner, on ( I think )7th Avenue. Somebody on here will know! It wasabout 5-10 mins walk North of TS and I'd highly recommend it.

If you're a Seinfeld fan, I'd also recommend the short subway trip to Tom's Restaurant on 112 Street for breakfast there. Even if you're not a fan on the show I think it's what we Brits would expect from a traditional diner.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

Speaking of Seinfeld, the coffee shop that he used to hang out in and that served as the inspiration is the Westway Diner, on 9th Ave. and 43rd Street.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traditional Breakfast Diner near Times Square

The Carnegie Deli has a very big breakfast. And there's Norma's in the Parker Meridian. Some people seem to like Evergreen. Put breakfast in the search and you will get numerous past comments on this subject.