We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

We're flying into New York from Seattle, and heading to the Dream Hotel downtown. The address is 355 WEST 16TH ST NEAR 9TH AVE, NEW YORK, NY 10011 and we'll be landing around 7:30-8pm. on a Thursday night.

Should we take the available direct flight into JFK and fight the (google says 56 minutes) traffic via cab or subway? Or should we take the stopover (1 hour in ORD) flight into LGA and travel the 33 minutes to the hotel via cab or subway?

Help! Thank you!!! :)

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,239 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
550 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
103,996 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

Always pick a nonstop flight imo, esp. If the price isn't outrageous. So much can go wrong with a connection. Train service from JFK is relatively easy.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

The time between flights (and the possibility of missing a connection) will be much greater than the additional time to get in from JFK. Also check on possible nonstops to Newark. If you're coming into Manhattan by train it's equally as convenient as JFK.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

Agree with the above...take a nonstop flight and look into Newark (EWR) as well, since you're staying on the west side and fairly near to the Hudson River tunnels. (Cab/car service might get you to the Dream Downtown faster from EWR than from either Queens airport).

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

Yeah, unfortunately EWR is about $400 more per person then JFK. So from JFK I would guess I can take a train/subway straight over to Manhattan right? And that would be faster then a cab?

Thank you!!!

Edited: 3:08 pm, May 04, 2015
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

At that hour, I think the train would be faster (or at least no slower, and a lot cheaper) than a taxi. The cheapest and easiest public transportation, but not the fastest, would be to take the AirTrain to Jamaica and then go down into the subway and take the E train to 14th Street. Exit near the back of the train, and you should come up on the street at 16th Street and 8th Avenue -- just walk down the street tot he hotel.

A little more expensive and about 20 minutes faster would be to take the Long Island Rail Road from Jamaica to Penn Station, and then the A, C or E train downtown to 14th Street -- not really worth it, if you ask me.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

You avoid the transfer at busy Penn Station if you just take the E train from Jamaica to 14th Street. You'll end up very close to your hotel.

Although exiting at the back of the train at 16th Street will get you closer to your hotel, there's an elevator to street level at 14th Street. NYC subway elevators are not always the most salubrious. 14th Street is not a deep station. Unless you've got heavy bags I'd just walk up to street level at the back of the train.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,344 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

Non-stop to JFK. I used to fly LGA to Ohare a lot for business - often just for lunch and back in the same day. You are guaranteed a huge delay there - and getting into LGA unless it is before noon or on a Saturday.

Avoid ORD whenever possible.

Dream Hotel (and the neighborhood) are excellent - I live here. Love the Dream pool!

I always do the E. Agree with Auden - back of the train - short flight of steps from the E to 16th and 8th Avenue.

SuitcaseReady.com

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

You guys are awesome, thanks for the tips!

9. Re: JFK or LGA to Chealsea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 05, 2016