We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed Bugs

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
55 reviews
66 helpful votes
Bed Bugs

We are planning to visit New York later this year and possibly stay at The Sofitel New York. My question is about bed bugs. Is the situation in New York still bad with regard to bed bugs? Has anyone stayed at The Sofitel and encountered bed bugs?

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
85 helpful votes
1. Re: Bed Bugs

New York City is one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world and is second only to Orlando in terms of the numbers of tourists. There will always be bed bugs in New York City.

What the situation at the Sofitel last week may have been is not indicative of what it may be next week.

Good hotels act promptly to clean up the problem. Where and when the next problem may occur is anybody's guess.

The bed bug problem in the U.S., in Europe, in the South Pacific, and anywhere tourists travel doesn't seem to be slowing. The people I know who have had problems with bed bugs had the problem occur in a very high-end hotel in Paris - they didn't discover the problem until they got home to their Manhattan apartment. Ouch!!!

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
93 reviews
53 helpful votes
2. Re: Bed Bugs

Bed bugs seemed to have disappeared from the press in recent years. Some claim that it was never so bad and mostly hype while others claim the problem is still with us, but lost public interest. Frequent travelers are more likely to be afflicted and some of the most prestigious apartment buildings and hotels have had bedbugs. The insects are insidious and can hide in picture frames and places that are hard to inspect. Many travel guides suggest you take a quick look at the mattress and bed frame immediately upon arrival prior to unpacking.

Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
104 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: Bed Bugs

There is a bed bug registry online, but that's not to say its up to date or even if people bother to report incidents.

Ohio
Level Contributor
10,249 posts
31 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Bed Bugs

Read online how to check for bed bugs, bring a small flashlight with you, stick your luggage in the bathroom as soon as you enter your hotel room, do your check, then unpack and relax.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,512 posts
21 reviews
72 helpful votes
5. Re: Bed Bugs

I've never thought about bed bugs, never checked for bed bugs and never had any problems with bed bugs.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
55 reviews
66 helpful votes
6. Re: Bed Bugs

Thank you, I was planning to do a quick check as you all helpfully suggest. It seems to be the best response to a possible problem.The suggestion to put the luggage in the bathroom whilst we do the check is one I hadn't thought of and will certainly put into practice.

Edited: 5:45 pm, April 28, 2015
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
55 reviews
66 helpful votes
7. Re: Bed Bugs

More FFmiles sounds dismissive, I suspect some kind of corporate response here, a lack of understanding that people do worry about bed bugs and certainly do not want to take them home.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
30,043 posts
8. Re: Bed Bugs

>>>There is a bed bug registry online, but that's not to say its up to date or even if people bother to report incidents<<<

Online registry. They make it sound official. But don't forget to read the disclaimer -

"Because our bedbug reports come directly from users, we can't guarantee their accuracy"

Nobody is being dismissive, but just out of curiosity, how many times have you come across bed bugs in all your years of travel?

Edited: 6:05 pm, April 28, 2015
Ohio
Level Contributor
10,249 posts
31 reviews
18 helpful votes
9. Re: Bed Bugs

Nope, she is not being dismissive...just stating fact. Good hotels check constantly and train cleaning staff to look out for these critters. The last thing a hotel wants are reviews with bed bugs mentioned. You will be fine!

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,008 posts
24 reviews
44 helpful votes
10. Re: Bed Bugs

I may have no right to chime in here as, to the best of my knowledge, I have never encountered bed bugs. But check as others have said when you get to your room, then relax. If you get bites (from bed bugs or something else; it has never been clear to me from complaints I see here and elsewhere if they really were certified bedbugs) then don't worry; as far as I know they cause a rash, not a fatal illness. Take whatever precautions you're supposed to take once exposed to avoid carrying them elsewhere, then get on with your life.

I think they were far more common in the generations of our immigrant ancestors, perhaps even taken for granted, and I think some of the horror, embarrassment associated with them have to do with the fact that this is something we associate with poor immigrants, not our superclean, successful selves. I could only laugh when I read the accounts of people who got them in their Park Avenue apartments. Should they or should they not tell their coop board or neighbors? SHould they or should they not fire the immigrant household employees who may have brought them in (on the other hand, it could have been their own clean selves on that safari to Namibia).

Immigrants learned to deal with them and maybe we should too.