We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expedia age requirments for new york hotels

edinburgh
3 posts
Save Topic
expedia age requirments for new york hotels

i was looking round expedia and most hotels say 21 but their are a few that say 18 is the requirement , im not very sure what to believe as ive read posts which say theyve looked up websites that say its 18 only to phone the hotel and be told otherwise!are expedia a trustworthy company if anyones had experience with them id be greatful to know.thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,186 Reviews
from $89.99*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
540 Reviews
from $34.00*
Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: expedia age requirments for new york hotels

I booked my holiday with Expedia for New York when I was 18. (Im 19 now though). It was okay with booking and everything, nothing came up about age they took my booking and everything, this was at the end of September.

But then afterwards looking at my hotel on other websites it said it had a minimum check in age of 21. Is that what you mean? And I panicked! I contacted Expedia and they changed it into my boyfriends name for the hotel contact as he is 22, they did it no bother.

Im not sure why there is a minimum age, I hadnt heard of that before. Maybe someone else can explain that one, lol. But I have never booked a hotel before so that may be why! Have you booked with Expedia already? If so, contact them and ask. Or they may have a contact section you can ask them about it. Im pretty sure Expedia are a good company, they are well known and I have only heard a few problems people have had with them but thats the same with every company.

Mentioned in this post
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: expedia age requirments for new york hotels

I checked into a hotel with a supposed 21 age limit in New York when I was 17 alone so I wouldn't worry. If you book the Expedia rates where you prepay and have a credit card they won't bat an eyelid. Besides, if you use your passport as ID, the receptionist probably won't even have time to find the date, convert it to the US format, and work out your age.

Mentioned in this post
NY, NY
Level Contributor
146 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expedia age requirments for new york hotels

I'm afraid the information given by the previous poster is not correct, and although they may not have had a problem with an underage booking don't count on that happening for you. Many hotels in NYC require a minimum age of 21 for occupancy and that includes for prepaid Expedia bookings. Since you must present a government issued ID to check in to almost any NYC hotel, especially with a prepaid booking the hotel will know your age. If the hotel has minibars stocked with alcohol in their guest rooms they are very likely to refuse you accommodation. I would do my homework prior to booking your hotel and select one with a minimum age of 18 - there are a few.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expedia age requirments for new york hotels

Exactly the same thing happened to me when booking a trip to New York. At the time, me and my friend were both 18 and had planned to stay at the New York Helmsley on 42 St. Everything was ready to book, flights, hotel, transfer etc and then I spotted 'Miniumum age to check in 21'. My heart sank! lol. My planning went from looking at the best hotels, to hotels that would even let me in! Eventually we found The InterContinental Barclay on East 48th that allowed us to be 18. We were so glad we booked with this hotel as it was fantastic. A blessing in disguise. When we checked in they did take our passports and check our date of birth so make sure you read everything before you book.

Have fun,

Jack

Mentioned in this post
InterContinental New York Barclay
InterContinental New...
1,732 Reviews
New York City, NY
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expedia age requirments for new york hotels

Just call the hotel or check its own Web site to find out. While Expedia is trustworthy, sometimes hotels don't update that information or just don't give it, so Expedia automatically assigns 21 as the minimum age. There isn't a different age limit for booking with Expedia than with the hotel, so you can always get the correct information from the hotel directly. I booked the Skyline when I was 20 through Expedia, later noticed it had a 21-minimum, called Skyline and was told I only had to be 18. I also checked with some other hotels, and it varied.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: expedia age requirments for new york hotels

I am a hotel manager - it is generally always at the hotel's discretion. I make a judgement call depending on appearance, number of people and the rate being paid.

Also important is if the person has a credit card I can charge for any damages...

Keep in mind that hotels get terrible rates from hotels.com / expedia / travelocity.....

7. Re: expedia age requirments for new york hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 20, 2009