We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comin to NY from Ireland

Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Comin to NY from Ireland

on Friday.

Couple of questions.

Been looking at booking Knicks tickets and there seem to be billions of website offering premium tix, cheapest being at about $75 (after paying a processing fee) per ticket. Is it worth booking one of these or is it possible to pick up tix "on the ground" in NY?

Also, any tips for the essential St Paddys day experience in NY, is the parade worth seeing and wheres best to watch it?

Also, I see the subway is $2 for a single trip, is there such a thing as a daily or 7 day pass, as we'll prob rely on it to get around....incidentaly is that a good idea?

Thanks for any help you folks can give.

TG

Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Comin to NY from Ireland

Another one, I've seen acouple of NYPass offers in the guidebooks (eg newyorkpass.com), are these good value or worth getting.

Thanks

TG

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comin to NY from Ireland

I don't really know about the Knicks tickets other than that they're expensive. One website that gets mentioned a lot is stubhub.com. You might try doing a search here for previous comments on the tickets.

The parade is definitely worth seeing if you enjoy a parade (marching bands etc.) I like watching from the steps of the Metropolitan Museum (Fifth & ~80 st) That's near the end of the parade and there's an Irish Club nearby. The steps get you up a bit higher than street level and that area is less crowded than midtown. Be aware that ST. Pat's Day there are lots of kids in the city for the day with the sole purpose of getting drunk. Lots of getting sick in the streets etc. so just be careful. All the Irisih bars along 2nd & 3rd ave will be filled to overflowing. There's a pub called Kennedy's on west 57 st that I like. Good food and nice people.

There are various metrocards. The 7 day one just went up to $24. For more options go to

www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

and yes, it's a good idea.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comin to NY from Ireland

There's a New York Pass and a City Pass. It pays if you plan on visiting those things anyway. One (I think the NY Pass) requires you use it in 2 days and I think you wind up running around like a crazy person for those 2 days trying to get it all in. I prefer the City Pass (citypass.com) if you plan on going to several of the museums included anyway.

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comin to NY from Ireland

I knew you were going to ask about the St. Patrick's Day Parade. Amazing how that particular event seems to be of so much interest to Irish people. It's fun no matter where you choose to watch it. And we certainly have no shortage of Irish watering holes in which to hoist one or two after the parade.

As far as Knicks tickets are concerned, given their performance so far this season, you may be able to pick tickets up at the box office. They won't be the best seats but you won't have to pay a service fee. Just don't buy tickets from the scalpers hanging out in front of and in the lobby of Madison Square Garden. If you want to get them in Advance, try Ticketmaster or Stubhub.com.

Finally, there are both daily and 7-day subway passes and they are the best value in New York. If you're here for more than four days, get the weekly pass for $24.

Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Comin to NY from Ireland

Thanks for all the help.

RE: Knicks tix, ticketmaster has nothing left (for Miami on 3/15) and cheapest on stubhub seems to be around $50. I know thats way over face value and we don't really care where the seats are, just wanna take in the game experience.

Anyone else know if its likely that we'll pick up tickets at the box office for this game or would it be safer to pay the $50?