We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK Parking

New England
Level Contributor
106 posts
33 reviews
JFK Parking

Can anyone recommend a parking facility for JFK? I am looking for a place that has a reliable and frequent shuttle.

Thanks

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: JFK Parking

Why not the Long Term Lot at JFK? A fast and frequent little shuttle bus or a often just a walk to the Airtrain station at Long-Term Parking gets you a free Airtrain ride right to your terminal door.

New England
Level Contributor
106 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: JFK Parking

When I search for parking on the internet I get many companies. Not sure which one is directly affiliated with JFK and which ones are privately owned. Can anyone recommend a company name?

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: JFK Parking

JFK AIrport's Official Parking:

panynj.gov/airports/airport-parking-jfk.cfm

panynj.gov/airports/airport-parking-jfk-rate…

Everything else is a private company off the airport, but most likely pretty close by. The advantage of a private lot is it may be less expensive, and the van picks you up right at your car. Of course, some are 2 or 3 miles away, while some are almost as close as the Official One I listed at the beginning.

I myself only park at Baltimore and Philadelphia, but this one sounds like they know what they are doing:

theparkingspot.com/locations/locations.aspx…

But note that right now, JFK's Official lot is only half full, so if you don't know which company to use, you might as well use the Airport's lot itself.

If others have more experience, they may answer you.

Here is an airport not-to-scale map:

www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airport-map.html

Note that the long term lot is Lot #9; it's just off Lefferts Blvd and also just off the Van Wyck Expressway, which if you are coming from Connecticut is gotten to by just going over the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge (I-678) and going straight to the Airport.

Typical of NYC, it's very expensive compared to other airports in the US, $18 per day. (At BWI, I pay $7.50 per day.)

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,396 posts
4. Re: JFK Parking

One factor to consider is that some of the lots are valet parking only. Decide if you feel comfortable leaving your keys with the parking lot.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: JFK Parking

I like SmartPark. They have nice buses that take you to and from the terminal. I never waited long for a bus to show up. You give them a call once you get your bags and they give you a waiting area right outside the terminal.

I do not like the JFK long term lot. (It is a little more $$, too) I dislike having to drag my bags through the parking lot to the air train. I had a nightmare experience trying to get on the elevator with kids and luggage. Never again!

I have no problem with valeting my car. My husband does it all the time in NYC parking garages and we've never had an issue.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,396 posts
6. Re: JFK Parking

cbsnews.com/news/…

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: JFK Parking

Kaye,

Unfortunately, my husband has no choice but to park all over manhattan in parking garages. If he didn't, we'd be pretty hungry ; ) I guess we are lucky that we've never had an issue.

Edited: 5:09 pm, March 12, 2015
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,396 posts
8. Re: JFK Parking

I valet park for the evening occasionally too.

It think it is less likely that they would take your car on a joy ride for a few hours while you see a show and have dinner, especially in Manhattan with all the surveillance cameras. In a more remote place, like an off airport lot, where they know you will not be back for days I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with leaving my car keys with strangers.

But that's me.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: JFK Parking

That is why there are choices.

Smartpark seems to be quite professional. They do walk around the entire car and take pictures. They are protecting themselves as well.

I did notice that at the end of the video they did talk about tipping. I know this has come up before, but my husband always tips on the way in and the way out. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

New England
Level Contributor
106 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: JFK Parking

I looked into a private car, it is more expensive but overall it is less of a headache and worry.