We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

Stockport, UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

With help from this forum, we have decided that we will be taking an xmas holiday in NYC, actually being there on xmas day itself. There is me, my wife and two teenage girls. Lord give me strength. :)

We are UK based and will be flying Aer Lingus. There are flights every day from Manchester (just a stone's throw from where we live). An 8am departure from UK gets in at 13.25 to JFK.

Returning flights depart at around 20.40.

There are flights every day. Can anyone recommend what the best dates are to be there? We are thinking of probably 6 or 7 nights and can go any time from Saturday 19th on.

Can anyone recommend what might be the best days to be there? Thanks.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,245 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

I'd try to leave before the NYE prices jump and hoards of tourists show up. I believe that is around the 27th or 28th. It can drive prices up hundreds of dollars a night.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

The period between Christmas and New Years Day is when the city is perhaps most crowded with visitors. The museums and other venues will be packed. I understand hotel rates are high at this time. Before Christmas, but within the holiday period, might be a better time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,235 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

It's more expensive in the first 2-3 weeks of December and then again over the New Year. Many people want to be home for the holiday itself, so it becomes relatively less expensive (and less crowded) for ~7-10 days right around Christmas Day.

It sounds like you've been reading through the forum and have sussed that out already. :)

I'd suggest playing around with the dates and seeing if airfares and/or hotel prices become less expensive in different combinations. I'd look at arriving December 19th/20th/21st and departing by the 27th/28th.

Have fun planning - Christmastime in NYC is wonderful! :)

nottingham
Level Contributor
267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

We are booked to head out on the 22nd then departing late on the 26th Dec. So looking forward to it and being in New York over the festive period.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

I'm planning from the 23rd to the 1st of January- so very exciting!

Happy planning!

6. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, March 09, 2015
New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

The week after Christmas--December 27th through January 2nd. Still stunning but people move a little slower and the mad dash to Christmas is over and the city is gearing up for New Year's. A bonus is, if you chose these dates you can check out the New Year's Eve Celebration at St. John's the Divine which is a much better way to

send out the old year and welcome the new than the purgatory of being in the pens in Times Square.

8. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, March 09, 2015
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,235 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

Between the 27th and the 2nd the city will fill up with New Year's Eve tourists and will be more crowded than over Christmas week itself, and more expensive as well.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xmas visit to NYC - what are the best days to be there?

I go every year for Christmas week - arriving around the 22nd and departing around the 28th. I've found that hotel rates are best then, then climb again toward New Year's Eve.