We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas or April

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas or April

Hi guys as the topic says my family and I are looking at going to New York at either Xmas time or in April but don't know which one to choose

We were in New York in November and had a blast it was the best but the only thing we struggled with was the weather with our kids (7&9) which is what is stopping us from going in December

But the main reason I'm not letting it go completely as I've had many tell me how magical New York can be at Xmas time I think it would be the ultimate !! But then again New York is New York fab at any time and weather in April would be better

Please help me make my mind up

We will also be going to Orlando ,Memphis ,San Francisco and a disney cruise

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,714 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas or April

Christmas in NYC is magical. It's also cold. But if you have the right clothing it's not so bad. I think it'd be a great time of year for kids to experience the Christmas atmosphere that we don't have here in Oz. For many, it's a once in a lifetime experience.

April would be lovely with the warmer weather, new blooms and new leaves on the trees. Street fairs start happening and it's easier to be outdoors for longer periods of time.

I guess it also depends on your budget and how long you'd want to stay in NYC.

Note that if you combined NYC with Orlando and a Disney cruise in December you'd also have to worry about packing warm weather clothes as well as cold weather clothes which would mean schlepping the cold weather gear around where you don't need it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas or April

Hi thanx for reply

I agree xmas in ny would be wat dreams are made of

Its just the weather thats a concern

I didnt even think about the clothing so thank you for that

It just feels like april is too far away aswell

We would be in new york for a week and budget would be $400ish a night

Last time we stayed at the distrikt but this time uf possible would like breaky to be included

I guess its catch 22 either pay more for flights or accomodation during those times

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,714 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas or April

Hotels are cheaper from the second week in December and then climb for New Years Eve. January is then very cheap.

Flights can be expensive though, lots of people want to go to NYC for Christmas.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas or April

Yeah it would be busy but its all aboutthe atmosphere

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas or April

I've been to NY in December and it is cold. It depends on what you want to do. If it's a museum focused trip you'd be fine, but if you want to do outdoor activities it'll be windy and chilly. The wind makes it feel much colder.

If you're also thinking about San Francisco then go in April. SF is a place to walk around and be outside. In December it'll be grey and wet, you won't get anywhere near as much enjoyment out of visiting. April is the perfect time to go. It won't be hot, but you'll be able to do things like Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge etc with much less chance of rain and in comfortable temps.

Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas or April

Haha, I'm in the same boat, we said go NYC next Xmas/NY but it's ages away and very cold, my fav time of year is Xmas so to be in NYC at Xmas is a complete dream, but will have a 14yr old 8 & 7 so I'm wondering if August would be better, so undecided, I'm glad someone else is in the same boat...:-)..good luck deciding...x

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas or April

I'm a big fan of Christmas season in NYC, but I'm also a big April fan! The flowers are popping all over the city. Parks and streets are full of people cheered by the end of a long winter. I think it's a bit of a toss up but April (especially later in April) is really wonderful!

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

https://instagram.com/nytourguy/

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xmas or April

If your kids struggled with the weather in November, then don't come in December. Although the weather in November and December isn't that far apart, it does get slightly cooler in December. That and the chance of snow at any point. Another reason why April is good; longer days. Around Christmas time the days are the shortest of the year. By April the days are getting longer and we've already set the clocks ahead.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
258 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xmas or April

Had to make this same decision as well and we decided to go with late May. There's no place like NYC at Christmas but one advantage of going in the spring is more daylight hours.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xmas or April

I love NYC at Christmastime, too - I spent Christmas 2013 in Adelaide, and so I know you would be in for a very nice surprise, so much more festive! However, I agree that, if your kids were already struggling with the weather in November, then maybe coming for Christmas is not the best idea, at least maybe not until they are a bit older and hardier. :)

I love NYC in springtime, too - it's so beautiful when all of the flowering trees bloom and everything turns green once again! However, spring bloom typically doesn't start until mid-April, so I'd advise coming at the end of April, maybe even early May.

If spring comes early, you might miss bloom, but post-bloom everything is green and lovely, and the weather is betting warmer by later April. If you come in early to mid-April, you might encounter weather that's still quite wintery, with bare trees and cold temperatures.

Here is a public album of some photos I've taken of spring in Manhattan - note the dates from year to year...spring came very early in 2012, but usually we see the earliest blooming trees in the third week of April, and the latest ones are blooming into the second week of May:

https:/…

Whatever you decide, I hope it's a great trip! :)