We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK or LaGuardia?

Alberta
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
JFK or LaGuardia?

My husband may be attending a conference in NYC in November and would be staying at a hotel near Times Square. We have never flown to New York before and were wondering if there was any advantage to arriving at one airport or the other.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,257 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK or LaGuardia?

this is my personal opinion - if the company is paying - LGA because it is closer. If I have to pay - JFK because I can easily grab the subway for an inexpesive price ($5 airtrain ticket, then my regular subway fare).

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK or LaGuardia?

LGA is closer in, and the cab fare is cheaper.

JFK is further out, the cab fare to or from is higher, and the route is prone to more highway traffic delays -- but it IS reachable easily enough by train, which LGA is not.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,116 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK or LaGuardia?

LGA is closest to Manhattan and a cab from there is usually $30. From either of the other 2 airports, cab is ~$60 but there are bus/train options. It's not enough to make a big difference. Pick the airfare/airline/flights that work best for you.

Alberta
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK or LaGuardia?

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like LaGuardia is more convenient (we would be taking a cab from airport to hotel) unless I can get a real good flight deal into JFK.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
567 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK or LaGuardia?

We just flew into LGA for the first time and found it not near as hectic as we thought. We collected our baggage and went to the visitors/information desk who told us either a cab or supershuttle is the way to get to Manhattan. The President was in town and there was alot of traffic and road closures so in this case, Supershuttle just happened to be quick and cheap. Although the van was full, we were the first ones dropped off so we were at our hotel within 30 minutes and it was 30.00 for both of us.

6. Re: JFK or LaGuardia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 22, 2009