We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis and car seats

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Taxis and car seats

Do taxis carry car seats at all? We are travelling to America with a 1 year old and not sure of what happens with car seats. Do we need to carry one everywhere we go in case we need a taxi? Sorry of its a silly question but I have never been before, thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Taxis and car seats

Taxis do not carry car seats. While it is not mandatory to have a child in a restrain seat in a cab it is always better for his/her safety. That said, you may want to look into using car services that provide car seats. Link below provides some suggestions.

http://www.citykiddy.com/cabs-cars/

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,855 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Taxis and car seats

We only use a taxi to and from the airport. You dont need a car seat on the subway.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Taxis and car seats

You should bring your seat with you. Safer on the flight (assuming your child has a seat) and certainly safer in any vehicle.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,553 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Taxis and car seats

You mention that you are traveling to America. This info is for NY, but applicable laws are at the state level, so may vary if you are traveling to other places.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Taxis and car seats

It will really be quite impractical to have to hail a taxi holding a child and a car seat, and then to have to attempt to install the seat in an unfamiliar vehicle in the midst of waiting traffic. That's the difficulty of NYC and taxis with kids. You have to either walk; take buses or the subway, or call for a service that has the proper seats attached.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Taxis and car seats

i'd bring the seat anyway for the plane and cab from the airport, but after that i'd use the subway and buses -- which is pretty much what i did when my kids were babies. very few taxi trips and if i did take a cab, i'd usually take one both ways.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,984 posts
7. Re: Taxis and car seats

No, taxis do not carry car seats. You can reserve a car service to and from the airport with a car seat, but aside from that, I would plan to take public transportation with your baby. If you need further advice about safe travel with an infant, let us know what your exact plans are.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8. Re: Taxis and car seats

I appreciate all the replies, thanks. I will aim for buses and subways whilst in New York however it is good to know that it is not illegal for a child to not be restrained in a taxi in case we do need to get one in an emergency. Cheers

9. Re: Taxis and car seats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 03, 2016