We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decorations out on Thanksgiving Day?

Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Decorations out on Thanksgiving Day?

Hello-

My husband and I will be visiting New York from the 22nd thru 27th. My question is about Thanksgiving Day. We will be hitting the Thanksgiving Day Parade but am wondering what we might be able to do after? Since a lot of stores will be closed I was thinking about checking out the Christmas decorations that are up. Does anyone know if Macy's window display will be up on Thanksgiving? Any other suggestions for this day for a festive feeling? I just do not want to see this day be a loss because so many things are closed. Thanks for any ideas!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,237 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
548 Reviews
from $34.00*
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decorations out on Thanksgiving Day?

Yes, holiday decorations will be up on Thanksgiving.

Movie theatres are open on Thanksgiving since a lot of big budget films are released then. You could go to Central Park and go ice skating or go to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. They have a couple shows that day at 2, 4:30 and 8:30.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decorations out on Thanksgiving Day?

The store displays should be all set up by Thanksgiving. Lord & Taylor is not far from Macy's (Fifth Av. & 38th Street ) and is known for its elaborate and traditional displays.

Other stores, all further uptown, worth checking out are Saks Fifth Avenue (5th & 49th), Tiffany (5th & 57th), Barney's (Madison & 61st) and Bloomingdale's (Lexington & 59th).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,343 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decorations out on Thanksgiving Day?

I would think everything in Chinatown will be open. Not sure about a place like Pearl River Mart. Not that its festive, but something to do...

Barney's has great windows! Very adult, and sometimes political.

A lot of office buildings never take down their decorations (we have our little white lights on trees year round), so its probably nice to walk on 5th, Madison and Park and check out decorations after dark

4. Re: Decorations out on Thanksgiving Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 pm, August 17, 2009