We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when & where to book?

England
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
when & where to book?

Hi,

Sorry if this has been a question that has been asked over & over again (just looked on the last 8 pages of the forum & couldn't find any relevant information...)

I'm planning to visit NYC at the end of November, early December for about 4-5 nights, but I'm hoping to book the flight and/or hotel within the next 2 months for my girlfriend. I've spent a long time surfing the internet to find the best deals, but they've all quoted around at least ��1000 (I'm hoping to stay at the Millenium Hilton). I've looked on this website and have noticed that some have managed to book for half that price and have booked through the Hilton website. Is it cheaper to book 1-2 months before rather than 8-9 months? Is the Hilton website the best place to book?

Also, I'm keen to take my girlfriend to the Rockefellar Centre for the switching on of the xmas lights. I've read that it takes place around the first week of December? Other websites have yet to be updated & still display last years events! I'd be very grateful if someone could find out the date for this as I will be booking the trip around this event.

Thanks.

london
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: when & where to book?

Hi there,

I have always found that if you book a package i.e. flight and hotel, then the cost is cheaper than booking separately. I have a trip booked arriving Xmas Eve for 5 nights staying at the Hilton Towers Hotel and flying with United which is costing 325.00 for the flight and the hotel part is costing 65 pounds each per night less a 10per cent discount off the whole package through United Vacations as they are affiliated to Hilton Hotels. Booking the hotel on the Hilton website would be cheaper but without the hotel part of the package, the airfare would be over 500.00 pounds so overall it was cheaper to do the package and hopefully we will get a decent room.

Can't help you on the Xmas Tree ceremony but I would imagine it would take place in November. I'm looking forward to seeing the tree too.

Hope this helps

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when & where to book?

The time period you've chosen to come is one of the busiest and most popular. Prices fluctuate depending on supply and demand. So when you say you've seen people book for "half of that" you're probably talking about less busy/desirable times of the year. I'd guess right now hotels are assuming rooms will be in big demand at that time. Closer to the time, if rooms remain unsold (doubtful) prices could drop. The best idea is to book now, but book something that's cancelleable so if you find something cheaper closer to the date, you can take advantage of it.

Which website to use for booking??? Check prices on every single website you can find and compare to the hotel's own website. Then try to get the hotel to match the cheapest price you found. The key is knowing the cancellation policy wherever you book.

As to booking air and hotel together, yes it's usually cheaper that way but my experience has been you're always making a compromise. Either the flight times are inconvenient or the hotel isn't exactly what you want. If you aren't fussy, it can be a good deal.

Hope you realize the Millenium Hilton is NOT in a very convenient location for midtown tourist attractions. It's all the way downtown in the financial district. It's true it's better value because of that, but not the most convenient location, especially for a visit at that time of year when most of the Xmas lights and sights are midtown.

The Christmas tree at Rock. Center usually gets turned on on the Wed. after Thanksgiving as I recall. Thanksgiving is Nov 24 this year so the following Thurs. would be the 30th Nov.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when & where to book?

I should add the light ceremony at Rock Ctr. is mobbed. You likely won't be able to get very close. You're better off watching on TV :)

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when & where to book?

If you book direct on the Hilton website, the advantage is, if you find a cheaper deal nearer the time, you can cancel it without paying a cancellation fee. I'd book it now, and then keep looking to see if anything else pops up. NY Whiz is right, the Millenium Hilton is not closer to the all the mid-town sites, it's right opposite the WTC site. Great if you like that area, Wall St, etc... but if you are going to be travelling up to mid-town every day, you may as well pay slightly more and stay at the Hilton Times Square.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when & where to book?

We always stay at hiltons in new york as we have status in the honors program.Generally the cheapest price you will get is on their website and generally the further in advance you can book the better.On their website they will show the price of all the hotels that are available- check all hilton brands.

you can make a booking and cancel it up to 24 hours before arrival if something better turns up but be careful because the cheapest rate is often a prepaid nonrefundable rate.

We were in new york last december and january and moved from the hilton new york to the doubletree times square then to the waldorf where we paid less than $200 pernight and then to the doubletree metropolitan because that came down to $112 per night.

If you are in the hilton honors program the consensus is the millenium is very good value and the hilton most likely to give you an upgrade.

You just have to remember to keep checking.