We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

Hello, can anyone help me find a nice hotel to book for myself and my partner. We stayed in the Sofitel the last time and it was very nice.

This time though as we have done most of the sight-seeing the last time, we are now looking for a hotel with lots of bars and restaurants on our door step. Can anyone help please?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,240 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

Since so many Manhattanites do not cook at home, if you find a hotel in a residential area you will have plenty of bars and restaurants right outside your door. The real question is what kind of residential area you want to be in -- for example, the Upper west side? The Upper East Side? Oddly enough, though, while the Vilalge has lots of bars and restaurants, it is singularly light on hotels.

Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

Thanks Green....Is Upper East or Upper West the only places?

Ideally we'd like to stay fairly close to midtown but don't mind going to either side (8th avenue or so).

It's beginning to sound like I can't have my cake and eat it! ;-)

We're going over for St Patricks day parade for the first time and would like to be within staggering distance of our hotel room from the craic if you know what I mean, but at the same time be close to a few nice restaurants for the remaining nights.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

No, those are not the only choices, but they were the first and most obvious two that popped into my head.

Since the parade goes up Fifth Ave from 44th to 86th Street, I think you probably want something on the Upper East Side that is within staggering distance of all the joints along Third and Second (and even First) Avenues.

After mass, of course... ;o)

You will find all of the places there (especially in the 70's and 80's) hopping on the 17th with people who marched, or watched, or never quite made it over to Fifth to do either.

Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

Cheers Green, you've been very helpfull and yes of course mass first and then a little celebrating!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,010 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

Unfortunately, there are very few hotels on the upper eastside. The Surrey would be convenient for the parade, but you'd have to walk a few blocks east to 3rd ave. to find restaurants and bars.

How fancy do you want the hotel to be? Do you care how close you are to the parade?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

I vote for downtown! How about the Cosmoplitan Hotel? It's budget, very basic, but you're right at the crossroads of Tribeca and lower Manhattan. Easy subway access to Village/West Village, Chelsea, UWS. Walkable to Chinatown.

See my comments on Embassy Suites, which is nearby. Same advice on restaurants and bars in the area:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k791075-… Embassy_Suites_Any_advice_please-

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

NYwhiz, what would you say about the Franklin? Certainly, the location would be ideal for what they have in mind, but I know little about the place.

Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

nywhiz........as I'll be taking my better half, I don't really want to stay really in anything under 3 stars. If it were just me and my friends I'd quite easily consider anything else.

I'll check out the Surreys reviews and see. Thank you.

My better halfs friend has recommended the Affinia 50? Has anyone any experiences of this place and if so are there may bars, restaurants close by???

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,010 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

Affinia 50 is terrific. The San Carlos is right near there and also nice. Check prices on quikbook.com vs. direct with hotels. Sometimes cheaper. I think that area (Aff. 50) would be perfect. There are a lot of Irish bars on 3rd ave. in the 40s too. The Shelburne Murray Hill (owned by the same people as the Affinia) is down there and another good option. Have a look at both here for reviews and also look at the candid travelers photos.

10. Re: Best hotel with LOTS of bars & restaurants close by?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 21, 2009