We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation and itinerary advice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodation and itinerary advice

We are travelling to New York from Australia arriving 5pm 20th November and would like to spend 3/4 nights in New York City before hiring a car to drive to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise on 29th November and need both accommodation and itinerary assistance.

Where is the best area to stay where we would have easy access to sights and shopping?

Budget is around $250 a night if possible.

Is it feasible to drive to Fort Lauderdale and if so which is the best route?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

Well I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and there is no chance I would drive it! it would take a good 2 days. You're better off looking for airfare, it is only a 3 hour flight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

We would actually like to drive and see some sights along the way and were thinking of allowing 5 days. Is this not feasible?

Thank you for replying so quickly as we need all the help we can get.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,078 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

I have answered the same thing in your other thread. The cost of driving with car rental, fuel and tolls not to mention a one way drop off fee will be high and the amount you can realistically see in 5 days covering that distance is IMO not great. Add holiday traffic and it sounds awful. But if you want to sightsee, Washington DC, Savannah, Ga and Charleston SC are the most popular destinations along the route. But Nov.27 is Thanskgiving and a lot of places will be closed. I'd say if you want to see more than NYC, take a train to Washington or some place south of here you'd really like to see a d drive from there or...fly from there. Savannah or New Orleans would make a nice stop to fly from NYC and then fly or drive from there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

Thank you very much nywhiz for the suggestions. I have re posted as it seems that our original idea may not be the best. The high cost of New York City accommodation is what prompted the idea to stay only a few days then drive to Ft Lauderdale, we will need to be there on the 28th so any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

I would take the train to Washington DC and then fly the 2 hours to Ft. Lauderdale. If budget is an issue you will be happy to know the best sites in DC -- all the monuments and the Smithsonian museums -- are free!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

Thank you Maddietravel, a train to Washington sounds interesting. Where is a god are to stay in New York City? I have been told to look for accommodation on Hotwire but am unsure which location.

Any itinerary ideas will be appreciated

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,328 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

You can actually take the train all the way to Charleston or Savannah and then drive from there south.

It will be much warmer along the southern coast and lots of history, old homes, great food, etc.

Also look at stopping in St. Augustine, FL.

If doing a road trip then post on the road trip forum-

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

There are a number of places open in both Charleston and Savannah on Thanksgiving day for a nice meal.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

Thanks PeachBelle8288, the train to either Charlstown or Savannah sounds great. How long would it take to drive from either as we will need to be in Ft Lauderdale on the 28th?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,216 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

Combining responses for your two threads: If you fly to Fort Lauderdale, doing it that Thursday (Thanksgiving) will probably have the lowest fares.

Staying in NYC from Nov 20- 27, there are some very good hotel rates. Assuming it's just two of you sharing a bed, Best Western Plus Seaport Downtown is $125/night (+ tax) for a queen or king room, including breakfast and WiFi, and rooms have a small fridge. That's a cancelable rate(!) on Expedia. Other sites may have it too.

There are loads of hotels within your $250 budget, but I zeroed in on this one because you've mentioned wanting to keep prices down. This is a very good deal.

If you are willing to do Hotwire, there are a bunch of good options there for ~$150-$200 or so + tax that are in or closer to midtown. If you are interested in going that route, let us know and maybe we can help identify your most promising options.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation and itinerary advice

Thank you Christnp2 , where did you find that rate as I just looked on Expedia and it was over $250 per night

?

Is this a good location as that price is terrific? I am probably game to try Hotwire if the location was better, which area do you suggest? Breakfast and wifi included would be preferable.

All the help is really appreciated.