We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK or Newark?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
JFK or Newark?

I'm in the middle of booking my flight from NYC to Manchester UK in April. I have the option of flying out of either airport with the same airline, same price, same flight duration and 5 minutes difference in flight time so all those things aren't an issue.

It's a late evening flight so i can allow plenty of time to get there with no rushing and i'm staying in the Chelsea area if that helps. I know all airports are a pain to get through and especially for international flights but is there a lesser of two evils out of these two?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: JFK or Newark?

JFK. You can just take subway and AirTraim for ant $7.50 if you don't have any luggage to worry about, or a cab for a flat fee of around $ 70' or car service, a New York taxi won't take you to EWR.

England
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
1 review
2. Re: JFK or Newark?

NYC taxis will take you to Newark airport, but it will be dearer than a journey to JFK airport (set fare).

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: JFK or Newark?

JFK is definitely the better choice.

JFK Airport is in New York City. You can get the JFK AirTrain and hook up with the subway and with the Long Island Rail Road (your choice). You can also get NYC taxi's at the airport.

I don't like Newark Airport all that much - it's more difficult to get to and it is in a whole 'nother state - New Jersey. Crossing state lines in the U.S., especially when it involves taxi's is never as simple as it should be. Lots more tolls between Newark and NYC.

JFK is my choice.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: JFK or Newark?

Hey Stormer7:-) Since it appears you're just looking to fly out, would certainly consider EWR as well;-) FWIW, if you opt for JFK utilizing LIRR and air train, you'd still need to head to Penn Station on 31-33rd Streets.. to get to EWR is easy enough and faster to get to.. the train ride takes barely 25 traffic free minutes to Newark Liberty airport.. from where you hop on the air train to your terminal.. $12.50 all in;-) Take a look at www.njtransit.com/ Best.. and EnJOY!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,468 posts
217 reviews
5. Re: JFK or Newark?

JFK is much easier.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: JFK or Newark?

If all things are equal I'd choose JFK, although I would go to either if the price or time was better. Since my flights to/from both have all been domestic I don't know if one handles international flights better than the other.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
7. Re: JFK or Newark?

JFK handles everything better than Newark

Melbourne
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
8. Re: JFK or Newark?

Thank you very much guys you've been very helpful. Just on the transport thing, i'll most likely be getting to the airport by AirTrain for one, i'll be traveling solo so it'll be cheaper than a cab and also the timetable would be more regimented and i won't have to allow more time with for traffic and the like or anything else that might occur to put me behind time.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Edited: 6:32 pm, October 11, 2014
9. Re: JFK or Newark?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 13, 2015