We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

xmas new york trip with kids

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
xmas new york trip with kids

i am travelling with my wife and two girls aged 15 and 17 to new york this xmas for around 5 or 6 nights ( any view on the number of days ) from our home in london uk . its the kids first time there and i havent been for ages . does anyone have recommendations in particular for this time of year for us all from the shopping , art , culture and fun aspects . does anyone know whether the tourist things are shut as its xmas and can we see extra special things due to this time of the year ? anywhere mainly functional but not nasty where we can stay hotel or apartment wise that great for its location ?

cheers steve

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: xmas new york trip with kids

Check the section on Family Travel at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s401/New-York-… .

Also, you should consider getting tickets to Circus Oz at the New Vitory Theater www.newvictory.org/show.m?showID=1007003. This is a family friendly theater and ticket prices are very reasonable. , I've been there many times and can tell you that all seats are good, even in the very cheap ones in the balcony.

Although I did not see Circus Oz the last time they were in NY, I taken a group of kids (from pre-teen to upper teens) and their parents to the New Vic's December Show, which is always a circus or circus like, and all ages love it (parents too) -- and I'll be taking a group there this December too.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: xmas new york trip with kids

Even though it may sound juvenile, I highly recommend the Xmas displays at the NY Botanical Gardens and the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.

Here's an article from last year to give you examples:

nymag.com/guides/holidays/lights/index.html

Most things are closed on Dec 25, except Radio City Music Hall's Christmas Spectacular, and other specialty shows.

There are lots of special events on Xmas, such as readings of Handel;s Messaiah, etc.

See these pages from last year:

newyorkled.com/moreNYseasonal_christmas.htm

newyorkled.com/moreNYseasonal_christmas_Depa…

Everything is open Dec 26, as we do not celebrate Boxing Day in the USA.

Broadway and Off-B'way theatres will publish a special calendar around the first week in December. Look for it in Time Out New York Magazine, or on Playbill.com as the time approaches.

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: xmas new york trip with kids

thanks for this

are most things open on boxing day ?

my kids have never really liked the crcus any other ideas?

thanks

steve

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: xmas new york trip with kids

Everything is open Dec 26, as we do not celebrate Boxing Day in the USA.

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: xmas new york trip with kids

queensb ty for repeating what you already told me . its amazing what you find out if u read peoples replies !

apologies

steve

6. Re: xmas new york trip with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, August 23, 2009