We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

Hello all

GWB or any other subway experts...I am printing out all of my subway directions today for my trip in less than 3 weeks! (WOOHOO!))

Anyway, I put in directions from the 47-50 Rockefeller Station as that is closest to my hotel (Comfort Inn Midtown) and wanting to go to Whitehall Station. Here is the directions it gave me:

Start at 47-50 Street - Rockefeller Center on the D.

After 6 stops, get off at Pacific St.

Transfer to the N, or R.

After 4 stops, get off at Whitehall Street - South Ferry.

So I go look at the map and man, does Pacific Street Station look clear out of the way! Is this correct? I guess to me and looking at the map, it seems way out of the way. Should I use the #1 or JMZ instead?

Once again, I appreciate your help!!

Thanks

Cathy

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

You have learned a valuable lesson here: where there will always be just ONE station that is closest to where you are , and just ONE station that is closest to where youa re going, the best route to take may not involve either of them!!

The directions you got were indeed the easiest way to get from one station to another, with the built-in assumption that you did not want to leave the transit system at any time. Unfortunately, 47th-50th is a station on the D/F/V trains, and Whitehall Street is a station on the R, and the R does not cross the line of the D, F, or V any place in Manhattan. Thus, your directions sent you to Brooklyn, where the Atlantic Ave station of the D connects to the Pacific Street station of the R (you could also have taken the F to Fourth Ave/9th Street in Brooklyn and changed there.) You would then return to Manhattan after this jaunt into Kings County.

HOWEVER, your object is not getting from one train station to another -- instead, you want to go from one place above ground to another place above ground. Thus, you want to begin at the SECOND closest station to your hotel, and that is the R station at 49th Street and Seventh Avenue. If you begin there (walking three short blocks instead of one long one to get on the train -- a distance that is almost exactly the same) you will not have to transfer at all, but can go directly to Whitehall street, without ever passing through Brooklyn and doubling back to do it!

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

Are you using hopstop for directions? I can't make it give those directions no matter what I input, but they're definitely not the best way!

It will depend on what day you're traveling - the 1 line doesn't go that far south on weekends (though I'm not sure there's any reason you'd want to connect to it from there anyway, as those lines don't really cross anywhere).

If you want to get on the B-D-F-V trains at Rockefeller Center, you'll need to change lines to get to Battery Park. You could change to the R or W at 33rd St and take that to Whitehall Street (or you could walk over to the 49th St stop and get on the R/W and stay on without having to transfer).

I'm not a subway expert, but have always managed to get around just fine on it. This is probably the route I'd take, but maybe someone will have a better suggestion.

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

I mistakenly called it 33rd St in my previous reply, but now I'm confused.

GWB - Doesn't the R line cross the D line at 34th St/Herald Square? My map shows that station as serving B-D-F-N-Q-R-V-W.

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

Walk over to Broadway and 50th Street. Take the #1 DOWNTOWN to the last stop, South Ferry. No changing trains, . You must be in one of the first five subway cars to exit at South Ferry.,It is a short platform and the entire train (10 cars) does not fit in the station.

There is no Pacific Street in Manhattan on the D line

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

Leslie, you know the subway better than I do it seems -- which is embarassing considering the many, many, many hours I have spent working in the very station in question under Herald Square.

OF COURSE the D,F, and V cross the R in Manhattan, and they do it at 34th Street (duh!!! Where did I leave my brain today?) but there is still no reason why one should want to change trains at all -- take the R or W from 49th Street to Whitehall for the ferry.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

Thanks GWB....that sounds much easier! Once again, I appreciate your help! I wish I could meet you and buy you dinner :)

Leslie..I was actually using this map

http://www.brail.org/transit/nycall.html

I have used hop stop as well , but I like the above one as you can see the entire map :)

I hate to bother you all with more questions, but is there a better side of the ferry to be on to get great pictures of the SOL?

Thanks again

Cathy

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

I'm QUITE certain that you know the subway infinitely better than I do. ;) But, not knowing it so well means that I typically have to refer to the map to figure out routes, so the info was right in front of me. Glad to hear I wasn't reading it totally wrong though. :-D

But I agree - it does make more sense to just walk over and get on the right train in the first place, instead of walking underground and waiting twice on train platforms.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

The ferry's route is east of the statue.

Going toward Staten Island, stay on the right side of the boat, and the left side going back to Manhattan. (Sorry, I don't know if that's "port" or "starboard", etc.)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

"Start at 47-50 Street - Rockefeller Center on the D.

"After 6 stops, get off at Pacific St.

"Transfer to the N, or R.

"After 4 stops, get off at Whitehall Street - South Ferry."

Wow, that is an incredibly stupid set of directions.

Since your hotel is on 46th Street, I vote for catching the R or W at 49th St and 7th Ave.

My second choice: B, D, F or V at 47-50-Rockefeller downtown to 34th Street, and transfer to the downtown R or W to Whitehall.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Staten Island Ferry Subway Question

Well, now you done it, QB -- here is some Really Obscure Trivia, regarding Port and Starboard, and the Staten Island Ferry.

The right side of the boat is starboard. The word was originally "steerboard". Ancient vessels (think of Roman triremes, or Viking longships), did not have a wheel, with a rudder in the middle of the boat. Instead they had a large steering oar fastened to the right rear of the ship -- this was the "steerboard". Since the steerboard was on the right, the only side of the ship that could be brought to the dock was the left side -- and so the left is the port side of the ship.

As for which side of the ferry to use, Cathy, you may not realize just how big the ferry boats are -- some hold more than 3,000 passengers, and have a number of decks. You will not just sit in one spot, but you can get up and walk around, and go inside and out, so you will find several spots to stand diring the trip that will be good for taking pictures.

Now, since a ferry boat looks pretty much the same from either end, and does not turn around -- it even has a pilot house at each end -- can one correctly speak of the "port" or "starboard" side of a Staten Island ferry boat? In fact, one can -- but how can one tell the difference?

Look at the flags on the ferry boat. A ferry flies two flags, with the American flag on one side, and the orange/white/blue City flag on the other. The American flag is carried on the right, or starboard side, and the City flag is on the left, or port side of the boat. And yes, this does indeed mean that half the time when the ferry crosses it is going forwards, while for the trip back -- since it does not turn around -- it is actually sailing BACKWARDS across the bay.