We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gramercy Park area

london uk
8 posts
Gramercy Park area

Have been offered an apartment to rent on 3rd avenue near to Gramercy Park, but don't know what the area is like. We are going next year and want to be nearish to the Village as have friends staying there.

The appartment looks great and is a lot cheaper than a hotel.

Any comments from anyone much appreciated.

Thanks David

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Gramercy Park area

3rd ave, near Gramercy Park is a great area.

Near to the Subway. good restaurants all around and a really pretty area.

Where in the village are your friends?

You'd be close to the East Village, across town and up from the West Village.

london uk
8 posts
2. Re: Gramercy Park area

I think they are pretty central. The apartment is in the 200's on third avenue so hopefully still in a nice area and quite central for most things?

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Gramercy Park area

Do you know what street it's on?

200 is the address for buildings on the South East corners of third ave

london uk
8 posts
4. Re: Gramercy Park area

The actual address is 364 Third Ave, New York City NY 10016. Do you know where that is? Do you live near there then?

David

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Gramercy Park area

364 Third Avenue is between 26th & 27th Streets. It is a mostly residential area, it is safe, lots of places to eat.

Buses - Third Avenue Uptown, walk to 22nd & 3rd to get the downtown bus, or to 2nd Avenue as well for that downtown bus line.

23rd & Third - crosstown buses.

28th St & Park Avenue South - #6 subway line.

It is closer to the East Village than West Village, but not that far that it will be a problem.

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Gramercy Park area

I don't live far from there.

It is a really nice area and I would recommend it. As NYCGIrl said lot's of restaurants.

It is a real NYC neighborhood and I think a good pick.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Gramercy Park area

I agree, I live close by as well, on 24th & 2nd, so you will be totally fine there.

london uk
8 posts
8. Re: Gramercy Park area

Sounds like we might have stumbled onto a good thing here! CAn you recomend any good restaurasnts; say something cheap and chearful, something mid price and something for a special evening out? Also are there any good bars nearby?

Thanks

David

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Gramercy Park area

I can help you with some restaurants below 23rd street..

Giorgio's Of Gramercy Park, 21st Between Park and Broadway.

this gets recommended alot here by Queens Blvd and myself. It is a really good, moderately priced pick. Very good food, excellent service and very nice. A good pick for a nicer diner that won't be too expensvive.

Mayrose, 21st and Broadway, Nice diner, huge windows overlooking Broadway. inexpensive good comfort food.

Piccolo, 19th and 3rd, Moderately priced Italian

L'Express, 20th And Park, Bistro, open 24 hours(good for after a night out)

Big Daddy's Diner, Park Ave. Between 19th and 20th. cool 50ish diner.

Blue Water Grill, 16th and Union Square West, nicer pick, great , reasonable weekend brunch. beautiful room.

The Coffee Shop, also, 16th St. and union Square West, Fun, Funky, trendy restaurant. Cool scene(don't let the name fool you, it's more than a coffe shop)

Chat and Chew, 16th St. Between Union Square West and 5th Ave.

Inexpensive comfort food.

For Inexpensive good fast food

Cosi, There are several locations in the city. there is one on Park Ave. South at 21st. good sandwhiches on their homemade flat bread, good salads.

Chop't, two locations, 17th, just west of union Square,

56th St. between Madion and Park. They make a great salad, and true to their name they chop it. I get the Cobb salad there all the time and it is about $10, it's huge and very filling.

Yes you did find a good area. NYCGirl can probably help you with restaurants above23rd st. you are very close to Union Square, Gramercy park, The Flatiron area. Madison Square park. Third Ave. is a major ave. getting cabs will be easy and you are a short walk from the 6 train on Lexington Ave.

I hope this was a help.

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Gramercy Park area

David,

For one very special meal I'd recommend

11 Madison Park. this is a beautiful restaurant very near to where you will be staying. It is a beautiful Art Deco room in what will always be to me the Met Life Building(this will make sense to NY'ers)

If you or your partner are SX and the City fans, this is where Carrie and Big met for(was it lunch) when they were trying to be friends. And if I remember correctly Carrie walked out on him.

I know alot of people come and like to see some of the places that were used on the show.

Here is the review from Zagats

"A “shining star” in the city’s “culinary galaxy”, Danny Meyer’s “fine-tuned” New American on Madison Square Park continues to produce “exquisite” cuisine backed by a “fabulous wine list” and a “smashing” art deco interior featuring “breathtaking vaulted ceilings”; add in “unobtrusive”, “mind-reading” service and it’s clear why this is a “favorite place to splurge.”"