We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3* or 4* Hotel

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
3* or 4* Hotel

I'm going to NY from Oct 5-8 and am looking to get a hotel. Does anyone know if I should get a 3* or 4* and if one is any more different from the other? Also, does anyone what prices I should be paying for it?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3* or 4* Hotel

4-diamond hotels have higher thread count sheets, plusher towels, more toiletries and, generally speaking, nicer bathrooms. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with 3-diamond properties. It all depends on what is important to you in terms of amenities. Also, my experience is that 4-diamond properties tend to have more comfortable beds, too. As to how much to pay---if you are looking at the rack rate (no special promotions, no discounts) for the time of year you are going--for a 3 or 4 diamond property---$300/night and up. BTW, from what the posters who use the discount websites (i.e. Priceline, etc.) have said these websites tend to inflate the rankings of hotels. For example, what they would consider to be a 4-diamond property would in actuality be a 3-diamond one.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3* or 4* Hotel

I heard that 3* hotels are pretty bad in NY though. Is this true?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3* or 4* Hotel

There are a lot of very nice 3* hotels in New York City. Take a look through the reviews here, and you'll see. Sometimes a hotel is rated lower because it doesn't have room service or a restaurant on site. If that is important to you, then you may want to stick with a 4*. But with so many restaurants in the city, I don't care if there's one right in my hotel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3* or 4* Hotel

Stars tend to equate to services ( restaurants, fitness rooms etc.) more than just "niceness." I wouldn't worry about stars so much as about reviews here. I don't think you can make any generalizations based on stars. There are some not very nice 4 star hotels.

Are you asking the question b/c you intend on bidding on Priceline or using Hotwire? If you use Priceline, I DO agree 4* is much better (and better value--you won't pay that much less for a 3* vs 4 via Priceline)

5. Re: 3* or 4* Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 17, 2009