We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you book your trip?

england
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How do you book your trip?

Hi.All.I was wondering if anybody would mind telling me how they book their trip,Do you book your hotel and flight seperatley?Both together (package) ect.If you do book seperatley can you give me any tips...We have found the New york Helmsley for £431 for 3 nights but finding a cheap flight is proving tiresome!

Thankyou all

england
Level Contributor
320 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How do you book your trip?

vixxys Been looking everywhere myself the last few days fo a trip next march. There were flights with virgin and Ba for about 298 return. Tried lots of sites for doing as a package and seperatley found lastminute.com and travelocity about the cheapes but was a bit worried about them, so also went to a few travel agents and found the ones that are independant found a deal as cheap as the net and also if you do a package you are covered if you have to cancel, but if you do flights and room seperatley you can loose your money if you have to cancel. Hope this helps.

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How do you book your trip?

One trick I have heard...but I have no factual evidence to back this up...is to check airfares just after midnight in the time zone where your airline is based. It's rumoured that this is when the previous day's cancellations will become available...which does have a certain logic to it.

It worked for me two years ago for New Years. I'm more of the spontaneous travel type, so last minute bookings are de rigeur for me. Which doesn't always work with holidays like New Years. Nonetheless, I was able to find my usual JFK to San Juan airfare for $198, when a few hours earlier it had been upwards of $800. This was booked 5 days prior to my departure.

Either there is some truth to above rumour, or the travel gods were on my side that year. (Though I did end up leaving my portable DVD player on the return flight...que horror!)

england
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: How do you book your trip?

Really good tips.

Thanks everyone!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How do you book your trip?

I'm with cbcito - I check all the 'discount' offers from third parties and then see what the hotel/airline/rental car places offer. Usually you can get a slightly better rate with any of them and with hotels the rate often has a much better cancellation policy.

15. Re: How do you book your trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 17, 2009