We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

Az
Level Contributor
241 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

In my situation would it be the way to go or not? I will be arriving on red eye flight into JFK on a Saturday morning. Truly not in a huge hurry to get to my hotel in Manhattan..cost is 20$..should I take a chance and do it or absolutely not? Thoughts?

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

If you have too much luggage for the subway what about trying the nycairporter bus, it's cheap and it only has a few main stops. It doesn't stop at every hotel but instead Grand Central, Penn Station and Port Authority. So if your hotel is near these locations that may work for you. I do think they have a free shuttle to hotels if you get off at Grand Central (I think)- but this is optional. The buses are new and have wifi! I don't have personal experience with the bus yet but I plan on using it in a couple weeks to go from Manhattan to JFK.

Az
Level Contributor
241 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

The bus sounds like a possible option as my hotel is quite close to Grand Central..

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

Just noticed on the website that due to construction at Grand Central that stop has moved- still near by:

Grand Central Stop

NYC Airporter picks up from 41st street, between Lexington Avenue & 3rd Avenue - In front of 140 E. 41st Street

South Pole
Level Contributor
42 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

Honestly, after that long flight, I'd just eat the cab fare. Tired and drained, imo, it's worth the extra cash vs handling luggage and new systems for getting tickets etc. I do the same when I go to Europe - use public transit all the time except when I get in. I bite the cab fare and just make it easy on myself.

Az
Level Contributor
241 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

Thanks all for your input. I don't think I will be attempting the Super Shuttle! Bus or taxi will be the way to go for me!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

The JFK AirTrain is so fast and so very easy to use.

The JFK AirTrain is just $5.00 and it connects the terminals with the nearby transportation network.

At Jamaica station, you have the option of both the subway and of the fast / comfortable Long Island Rail Road with uniformed conductors on board the train. The LIRR is a few dollars more than the subway but it is very fast and very comfortable and the friendly on-board staff will ensure you don't get lost.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

I have never taken Super Shuttle in New York, but I have taken it in other cities. In my experience, the main problem is the lack of reliability -- you never know how many other people are being dropped off/picked up and where you are on the list. Also, drivers dropping loud suggestions about how the fare doesn't include tips. That said, if you are only considering taking one from the airport, not to the airport, and have lots of time to spare, I would feel more comfortable with that, especially if you have heavy luggage and don't want to (1) pay a taxi fare, and/or (2) do the connections required for public transport. Someone mentioned the airport bus, and that is also a decent option. In my experience, the quality of that option has declined over the years, but it does stop near Grand Central, which is convenient for me and sounds like it would be for you too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

Hey butterflyy2000:-) Considering you don't want to be schlepping heavy luggage around, NYC Airporter bus which would leave you close to your hotel.. or a cab.. sounds like a good choice;-) I agree with kellyb here in that sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and make it easier on yourself;-) FWIW, although an option, taking the Air Train to LIRR will leave you at Penn Station which is on the West Side .. where you'd need to hop in a cab to get to your hotel on the East Side close to Grand Central anyway! Since it's a Saturday morning, you shouldn't encounter much traffic as well;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

Just google "super shuttle nyc reviews"

Az
Level Contributor
241 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: I know Super Shuttle is not recommend but...

Thanks for all great advice. I think I will wing it, if I feel energetic after the long over night flight I may just hop on the AirTrain to Jamaica, then take the E train to Lexington/53rd. Otherwise I will just go for a nice cab ride into the city! :)