We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe ?

vienna
Level Contributor
206 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
How safe ?

A first time visitor ...

Could you pls let me know your (safety) feelings about the area "3rd Ave/103rd street & 104th street". Many thanks !

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe ?

If you are from Austria, you will probably not like being near New York City housing projects where a lot of scenes from Law and Order were filmed. During the day, I would not worry, but I'd be wary after dark.

The good news is that the 103rd St station of the Lexington Avenue Subway is 1/10 mile away.

If you are visiting friends who live there, they will tell you what it's like; if you are staying at an apartment that you are renting, you will not be happy.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe ?

As NorthofDC says, your friends can probably tell you what it's like living there. Any private apartment rental there will probably be shady as all heck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe ?

Hello,

The area is very safe. I usually walk over to Ballys Gym early in the morning with no issues. It is often very quiet.

During the summer they close off some streets in the area as play streets (with ferris wheels and rides) and usually have a wonderful farmers market.

However, for some it might not be within their comfort zone if they are not use to area with some government housing.

There have been extensive development in Co ops and Condos. So the area is a mixture.

Hope this helps in answering the question asked.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe ?

Why do you want to know? There are no legal hotels there nor any sightseeing I can think of. Renting aparments for stays less than 30 days is illegal. If you're staying for longer than 30 days, I wouldn't like that location.

city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/975737-101…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe ?

The Area is pretty safe but as others have mentioned there are many private apartments and public housing projects.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,499 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe ?

It is located East Harlem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Harlem Yorkville ends at 96th street: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkville,_Manhattan

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/D2eJA

Are you planning on staying here? http://www.upperyorkvillesuites.com/

Tripadvisor reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1119257…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe ?

the area is pretty mixed. I've walked around it at night (visiting friends, who feel safe enough to let their middle schooler walk home alone) and didn't feel particularly unsafe.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe ?

The area is indeed fine.. known at East (or Spanish Harlem).. don't know of any hotels there though;-) Have fun.. and EnJOY!

vienna
Level Contributor
206 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe ?

Many thanks to all of you (I asked this Q, because there are some small B&Bs there in the vicinity)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,955 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe ?

Many of those places that advertise as B&Bs are just illegal apartment rentals. Not all of them, so be sure to ask here before you decide, we can help you research.

Enjoy your trip!