We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

verve hotel vs. Comfort Inn manhattan bridge

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
verve hotel vs. Comfort Inn manhattan bridge

have booked at the Verve in long island city for $149/night in early august. Just saw a travelzoo deal for $129/night at the comfort inn manhattan bridge. Is this a better location than long island city or better hotel? Both come with breakfast but the Verve also has king bed and fridge in room. We will be travelling by subway to Harlem area and also do lots in midtown as well as lower manhattan too so we need to be near subway. Any suggestions which would be better?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,026 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: verve hotel vs. Comfort Inn manhattan bridge

Strange avatar, Jay. It took me a while to realize that it was not some weird anteater.;)

The trip by subway from that Comfort Inn to Harlem is probably more straight forward (no transfers) vs Long Island City, although it will depend on where in Harlem. The Verve is a nicer hotel but there are definitely benefits to being in Manhattan. I don't think it,s a question of a "better" location since both are near a subway which is what you need. You will have more options for restaurants and nightlife at that Comfort Inn but you need to weigh that against the bed size and not having a fridge. You might contact the hotel to see if they can provide a fridge. Some will on request.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: verve hotel vs. Comfort Inn manhattan bridge

1) It is hard to NOT be near a subway station, but I do know people who accidentally do that :^)

2) Everyone goes to uptown, midtown and downtown when they visit New York.

3) The choice is between the Comfort Inn one block from the B and D trains at Grand St., next to a playground, a lot of businesses that are not like Tiffany's, and near the entrance/exit of the always crowded Canal Street and the Manhattan Bridge, versus a hotel in LIC that is actually sort of closer to everything, but is in a neighborhood with auto repair shops the lots where they store taxicabs overnight, also lots of hotels that a lot of Europeans stay at, and not much else, and the N, Q, 7 subway lines are the elevated stop, and the E, M, R trains are at the underground stop.

I'd stay where the room is nicer, because neither location is top-of-the-line, and neither location is bad or dangerous, and both locations are an equal 12-15 minute trip to nearly everything famous in New York. LIC is 2 stops from Central Park, The Manhattan Bridge Hotel is two stops from Greenwich Village. My brother and I usually stay in LIC, but if we saw a hotel in Chinatown for the lower price and nearly the same quality, we'd stay there in a heartbeat, for the fun of being right off Mott St,, the American "Dundas Street West".

I just reread your post: A king-size bed has to be better than a double; if the Comfort Inn is not at least a Queen-size bed, stay at the Verve. Also, if you think a refrigerator is useful (many people do), stay at the Verve. If $20 per night is really important to you (as it is to many people, especially if it's a week's stay), stay at the Comfort Inn.

Edited: 11:50 am, June 26, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: verve hotel vs. Comfort Inn manhattan bridge

You can stay closer to Midtown for $ 149 a night. I see similar rates for Fairfield Inn Penn Station (room with a king bed) for early August. So neither would be my choice necessarily. What are your dates?

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: verve hotel vs. Comfort Inn manhattan bridge

August 5-9th

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,026 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: verve hotel vs. Comfort Inn manhattan bridge

If you're willing to prepay and have a non cancelable booking, there's a 3.5* hotel on Hotwire in east village/lower east side with 95% thumbs up rating that's the Wyndham Garden Chinatown for $142/night.

6. Re: verve hotel vs. Comfort Inn manhattan bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 28, 2015