We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

We are two 29 year old girls from Australia on our first trip to the US. We spent a week in LA, Anaheim, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon and now have 17 nights in New York City.

Our trip came about because travel buddy Claire has friends getting married here on the 4th of July. She hadn't travelled overseas before so asked if I'd like to join her. I've been wanting to visit the US for a long time so jumped at the chance.

I've been on the forums planning like crazy so we've got a lot to do!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Day 14 - Sunday 6 July

We headed over to Brooklyn for Smorgasburg at Pier 5 in Brooklyn Bridge Park. The offerings were all enticing and we wished we could have tried everything but we settled on sharing a pork pancake and a brisket roll, then I had a chocolate salted caramel doughnut for dessert and Claire had a cookie.

We strolled along through the park towards the Dumbo area and found ourselves at Jane's Carousel. We had a ride on the ponies then walked up to the start of the Brooklyn Bridge. It was quite hot in the sun but the breeze on the bridge was good. Along the bridge we actually ran into one of the Aussie couples who had come to NY for the same wedding! What are the chances of that happening?

Once off the bridge we sat in the City Hall park to plan our next move. The couple from the bridge had suggested we reserve our Top of the Rock tickets for the time we wanted so we headed to Rockefeller to do that. This was another thing we had bought on our Go Select Pass, so we showed our passes on our phones and reserved tickets for 7.50 pm.

The wedding couple were having a barbecue lunch on a friend's rooftop near E 23rd St so we walked over to Lexington to catch the subway. We realised we were close to the Waldorf Astoria so we popped in there for a look. The bathrooms are pretty lovely and the rest of the place is alright too.

On to the subway to catch up with the wedding crew. We hung out with the gang for a couple of hours then it was back to the Rockefeller. It was very quick getting through security and up. I'd either not heard about the special effects in the elevator or forgotten, so they were a cool surprise. The ceiling of the elevator is glass so you can see all the cables and gears above you.

We had great views at the top and I agree with the many people who prefer it over the Empire State Building. The ESB was coloured red, white and blue for the holiday weekend so we got some great shots of that.

We left around 10 pm and caught the subway to Serendipity 3. There was going to be a 30 minute wait at least so we put our names down and headed to Cabana Restaurant to share an appetiser before our dessert. At Serendipity we ordered a frozen hot chocolate (of course) and a broadway sundae. Both were amazing but so filling and so chocolatey. We took our leftover hot chocolate home in a cup and laid on our beds complaining about how full we felt. A good end to the day!

Tomorrow: no solid plans but we need to buy final presents and souvenirs and want to see Kinky Boots or another broadway show.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

I can't believe your trip has gone so quick! I wish you were staying longer so we could read more as you've covered so much.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Day 15 - Monday 7 July

We decided to cross off our shopping lists today so after a sleep in (must nearly be time to go home - we're exhausted) we headed to Century 21 to buy some presents for family members and friends. We spent a fair bit of time there and left with very heavy bags so we went straight back to the hotel to dump them.

Into Times Square next for a very late lunch/early dinner and to get tickets for Heathers that night.

Popped into Toys R Us and Claire got more presents for her nephews and niece. We caught the subway to visit the NY Running Company on 3rd Ave. I had my run assessed and left with some very pretty (and comfortable) sneakers.

Then it was time for the show. It was really funny and definitely not one for the kids.

Tomorrow: the Frick, the Guggenheim, the Conservatory Gardens in Central Park and a final catch up with the wedding couple.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Day 16 - Tuesday 8 July

Our last full day - so sad!

This morning we visited the Conservatory Gardens in Central Park. These are three formally laid out gardens - a nice spot to escape the heat.

We walked down Fifth Ave to the Guggenheim. This was the final thing we had on our Go Select Pass. It was quite good and I loved the Kandinsky exhibit. We had a beautiful lunch at the Wright while we were there, including a delicious chocolate tart for dessert.

More walking down Fifth, to the Frick Collection. I really enjoyed this - I think I spent more time looking at the architecture than the paintings.

We popped into the park and sat by the sailboat pond. Claire sketched (she bought supplies at the Frick) while I read. It was nice to sit in a slightly cooler spot and just chill out.

Down to Times Square and the Tkts booth for one final show - Kinky Boots. And yes, that's six shows we've seen, for those keeping count.

We hit up the M&Ms store for plane snacks and sat on the red steps with drinks from Starbucks.

Around 5.30 we headed towards the theatre location and had an early dinner at Orso.

Kinky Boots was a lot of fun but our seats were way up the back which meant we didn't get to appreciate costume and set details as much - and it's a show where you definitely want to see costume details!

We were meant to catch up with the wedding couple but the husband was sick so they had to go to the doctor.

Back to the hotel to do a LOT of packing.

We're both very sad to be leaving tomorrow. We've had a brilliant time and while we've down almost everything that was on our list, there is still so much we could do. We would have loved a side trip to Coney Island, Fire Island, Rockaway Beach or the Hamptons. I wanted to do a Free Tours by Foot tour and there are all the smaller museums and galleries. We only had a few hours in Brooklyn and I'd like to see a lot more of the area. And there is so much on my shopping list that I didn't get! Well I'll just have to come back!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Glad you liked the Guggenheim and the Wright. It's a lovely cafe, I should recommend it more. And if you've actually paid the entry fee to go into the Guggenheim I also like going to the cafe up in the annexe where you can look over Central Park, including the beautiful Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir.

Sad that your trip is finished. It's been great to read your TR. I love them when they are written when you're actually there (tho' completely understand why people don't write them like that).

Safe trip home and look me up if you're ever in Melb!

Jenny

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Glad you had a good time Angie709, I must say that you have only scratched the surface and you ain't see nothing yet..what this great city has to offer. You will just have to come back again and again :)

Perhaps come back in a different season like the fall (autumn) and enjoy the colors.

Have a safe flight back to Aussie land :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Hi Angie! Really loved reading your trip report so thanks for taking the time each day to do that (not like some of us lazy ones *cough* ;-). It goes by so fast doesnt it and doesnt matter how long or short you go, it will never be long enough I think. Our 10 nights felt like it was on fast forward!

Anyway, have a safe trip back....as Im writing this its pouring with rain back here in Adelaide, so can you pack some NY sunshine to bring back :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Also, thanks for posting it up every night. Really appreciated it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Loved all your posts. Thanks for sharing and have a safe trip home.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Ongoing Trip Report - two Aussies girls and 17 nights in NYC

Going to miss your daily reports, but of course that means you'll have to save up and return!!

Did you find the heat hard with walking around all day?