We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday present tip?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday present tip?

We'll be in NYC September 10th to 14th, and I want to give my husband a birthday gift he won't forget. Was thinking about a helicopter ride, but that might be a waste of time (and money)?

Do anyone have any great tips? He's 30-something, loves all things technical, modern art, photography. To name a few. He's also very into stand-up comedy.

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have!

PS: Don't really have a budget, but would like to stay under 300 dollars.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday present tip?

If you think your husband would like the helicopter ride then go ahead, it will be worth it to him.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
841 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday present tip?

You could take him to B&H Photo Store at 420 Ninth Avenue and let him pick out some accessories for his camera. They have great prices and products and I'm always like a kid in a candy store when we stop in there. I always find something to take home. They have all kinds of Electronic gadgets, Not just camera stuff.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,650 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday present tip?

this [the beast]

circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/…

for a bit of cheap fun.

or this [the shearwater]

http://www.manhattanbysail.com/

for something a bit more grown-up.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday present tip?

Thanks for that, 2frosty4u! That actually sounds kind of perfect! I might buy a gift card to give him on his actual birthday (which is now, not when we're there).

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
841 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday present tip?

I'm glad you liked the suggestion. You can purchase the gift card online or by telephone. I'm sure when he uses his purchase from B&H he'll think about when he got it in NYC and who gave it to him :)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday present tip?

Isn't there a photographer's tour? Photo Safari something maybe? Where the guide is a professional photographer?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday present tip?

Photography tour sound good too. A cool experience would probably make for a better gift. I'll check it out, thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday present tip?

Would you want your husband to take the photos with the help of a professional photographer or have the professional photographer take the photos? I see websites for both.

As for comedy, go to http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/ & click on the tab for comedy & then click on your dates.

9. Re: Birthday present tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, June 26, 2015