We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

Tortola
11 posts
JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

My wife and I (both seniors) have a choice of afternoon flights into either JFK or LGA in about a month's time. Which would be preferable for journeying onwards to Staten Island (Farragut Avenue)? We would like to avoid the cost of a cab as far as possible and may be able to arrange to be met at the SI ferry terminal. However, we shall have with us a carry-on each and one large wheelable case between us .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

Hmm..Best thing I can think of is to fly into LGA, and take the M60 bus into Manhattan get off at 125th and Lexington and take the Brooklyn bound 4 train to the last stop which is Bowling Green.

Others may know a better way though..

Edited: 11:17 pm, May 27, 2014
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

I think Jus-One's idea is a good one. Plus, as of this week the MTA has made the M60 a Select Bus which means that you pre-pay at the station and there are fewer stops. Still, the combined journey from the M60, to East Harlem, to the subway, to the SI Ferry, and then finally to drive to the Western part of SI will take 1.5 to 2 hours just to reach the ferry terminal on SI. Meanwhile, the driving route from JFK is quite direct and would only take 45 minutes in a taxi (maybe less). So even though it is expensive, I would get a taxi or book a car service since it would save more than an hour in transit time. And by the way, Newark Airport would actually be the closest to that part of SI with an only 25 minute ride from the airport.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,227 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

I agree with both of the above. While the most direct way by public transit would be LaGuardia and the M60 to the #4 to Bowling Green, Staten Island is a very car-oriented borough and it is much faster to get from either JFK or Newark by car. Newark is especially close to Staten Island - but getting from Newark Airport to Staten Island by transit, rather than by car, would be very difficult.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,198 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

Unless you're visiting friends or family on Staten Island, I hope you realize it's an awful location for a typical tourist/sightseeing trip. Accommodation is cheap because it's so inconvenient. I would also forget public transportation and get a private car service. Clover Leaf is mentioned in this older post by a former forumite who lives there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3529560…

Edited: 7:31 am, May 28, 2014
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

Agree with Shawn ! If u can take a cab please do ! As seniors with luggage...getting around town isn't easiest at times. And by car JFK is a much more direct route.

But if y'all still insistent on taking the MTA then M60 to the 4 train

Tortola
11 posts
6. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

Thanks for all that helpful information and comment. Much appreciated.

We.re visiting family on SI (I;ve never been) and would have been met at Newark, but unfortunately we don't have that flight option.

Could we take a bus from JFK to a stop where we could pick up a taxi for the rest of the way, to reduce the cost?

Otherwise I could ask a relative to phone the Clove Lake Car Service for us and then call them myself when we have landed.

staten island
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

I agree with the M60 to the 4/5 train to the ferry. JFK would be best if you're getting a ride.

Once on Staten Island, there is a taxi stand at the ferry.

Staying on Staten Island isn't always a terrible option, but Farragut Ave. is a bit of a distance from the ferry terminal. It can be done, but plan your visit using www.mta.info

Check if any express buses are near your location too (for a few more $)

Tortola
11 posts
8. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

Thanks, Georgia

However, I've now found that the JFK option is no longer available for our preferred date - only a flight into LGA at 8.10 pm. Might it be a bit much to ask a relative to drive out from SI to meet us there?

Alternatively, can you suggest a midway point at which someone could meet us off a bus or taxi from LGA, so late at night?,

staten island
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

The M60 to the 4/5 train is from LGA. They can pick you up from the St. George ferry terminal on Staten Island. You won't get there until 10pm, at the earliest.

I would ask my relative and pay for gas and tolls, unless they are uncomfortable driving outside of SI.

Tortola
11 posts
10. Re: JFK or La Guardia to Staten Island by public transportation

Thanks,again

After considering all our options (including arriving the following day), we decided to accept that we're getting older and take a taxi all the way from LGA to Farragut Ave. A cousin says that the roads should be clearer by then and we shall be going over the bridge, rather than using the ferry, of course.

I'm glad I put a hold on that incoming flight, because all the other economy class seats have now gone for that day. I also got a very pleasant surprise when confirming our flights home - I was able to secure First Class seats for the initial leg and Business Class for the second one at less than the going rate for economy :-)

We're exceedingly grateful for the advice you all gave us - Bless you!